It's Snowing!

Sept 27, 1999 a little after 9:00 p.m. MDT

IT’S SNOWIING!!!

| | | | | | | | | |
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit.

I know that the first snowfall of the year is always magical, and I remember one very well.

It was September 22 of 1995, the last day of Summer, according to the calendar. I was working in this north Ontario timber town on a sawmill startup; 100 hours/week of stressful, dirty, dangerous work for the same salary as men who got to go home at 5 back at the office.

To my great fortune, the Irish family who owned the roadhouse outside town had pretty much adopted me. I aways had my own seat at the bar, and Shawn (the owner) always made sure there was Guinness on hand.

But that night, none of us wanted to go home, so the entire population of the bar (which was really just me, a couple of German engineers, and Shawn’s extended family) ended up staying up late and drinking even more beer at Shawn’s parent’s house in town (Yes, it feels like high school).

At about 3 AM, when we’re all thinking about how it would be nice just to stay drunk through tomorrow, it get’s real chilly… and starts to snow. Three hours into the official autumn, and the stars are crystallizing and falling into my Guinness.

Can’t beat Ontario in the winter. Bears, beers, and snowmobiles.

snow in September? that late? why, up here in Canada, I’ve seen snow in every month except July and [stereotypical ramblings deleted].

After spending most of my life in the upper midwest, I lived in San Diego for 11 years. Moving to Colorado and having extreme seasons again was a real treat. Been here almost 5 years now & still get excited by the first snow. (It’ll be in the 70’s again by the end of the week.) Makes my coworkers believe that I’ve already achieved my goal of “eccentric old lady”. So sue me.

| | | | | | | | | |
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit.

Hmmm… it’s snowing here, too. But I guess my “here” and your “here” are pretty much the same place. I’m in Gunbarrel. It consistently amazes me that Colorado ALWAYS gets snow before my hometown in Michigan gets snow. Seems like it always starts in September.

Never fear. It’ll be 70 degrees next week.

It doesn’t snow here very often.

The sun doesn’t shine here very often.

We don’t get much sleet here.

It just rains. And rains. And rains.

“Finally, consider Kottke’s voice which sounds like geese farts on a muggy day.”
Leo Kottke
6- And 12-String Guitar

Athena -
We’re “neighbors”. I’m about 10 miles west - up Sugarloaf road. Work in town. Small world, huh.

It’s 77°F, sunny and clear :slight_smile:
We get a few more days of summer here :slight_smile:

“I hope life isn’t a big joke, because I don’t get it,” Jack Handy

Gr8:
so what are you smiling about? Gads, summer, get thee behind me! Winter, BRING IT ON!

>^,^<
“Cluemobile? You’ve got a pickup…”
OpalCat’s site: http://opalcat.com
The Teeming Millions Homepage: fathom.org/teemingmillions

I’m with you Opal.

Bring on the cold!!!

‘They couldn’t hit an Elephant from this dist…!’

Last words of General John Sedgwick

Yes! No more hot weather!

MaryAnn
Sometimes life is so great you just gotta muss up your hair and quack like a duck!

But this is Oregon! When it decides to become winter and start raining (any second now, I’m sure), it will be winter until May or June! Besides, 77 isn’t that hot, is it? I was actually comfortable yesterday :slight_smile:

“I hope life isn’t a big joke, because I don’t get it,” Jack Handy

<Sigh> And here I was, so glad that it’s finally getting cold outside, when you guys start talking about snow and calling 70 degrees warm. 70 pretty much is winter here. But I love it, anyway.

Cessandra

My Homepage Updated 9/28/99!
The RHPS: Website For Virgins Updated 9/28/99!

Oh Cessandra,I’ll trade you!Here in Maine it is cold,and I hate it.I’d love to be out in a park frollicking(!)I had a dream about snow this morning :frowning:

Nobody said things would be easy,and nobody was right-George Bush.