It's that great getting up morning: The new site is nearly ready for you.

We told you that we were all very much aware that your experience on the Straight Dope Message Board over the last while has not been an optimal one.

We told you that the board software was old and failing and overdue for a change. That we were not sure initially how that change was going to happen but we could not continue indefinitely like this. (Though I know to most of you it feels like it.)

Well, today’s that day. Or will be soon. The Straight Dope Message Board is moving to new software on a new platform.

The site will be moving to Discourse.

It will not look or feel exactly like the vBulletin board you’ve been accustomed to for the better part of the last 20 years, but it will be as close as we can make it minus the 504 errors.

We expect that the new board will take a period of adjustment as we look at new ways of doing the same old things in a brand new way. It will also be faster and more efficient and less frustrating, though this period of adjustment will no doubt have some bugs to be discovered in it; that’s the way of all new things.

The tentative go date to move to Discourse is **Thursday June 18. ** Here’s how we think it’s going to work:

Sometime that Thursday we will set the board to be in “Read Only” mode. We will get a final data dump of all of the posts/content up to that point, and send it over to Discourse to do their migration. Hopefully the migration will be finished by Friday.

Then we will kick the tires of the Discourse install, make sure everything is good to go, then switch the DNS settings to point the existing SDMB to the new Discourse install and we will be open for business as soon as that propagates. This means you’ll use the same URL for getting to the SDMB as now. And it also means all the old existing thread URLs should automatically work properly, in case you have any bookmarked.

If there is any problem during the migration we will go back to the old board, reopen it for posting, go back to where we were, and we’ll try it again the next week.

Almost everything is migrating over to the new site. We are not losing any content; your past posts should all be there. The development team has worked hard during the last four months to make sure this happens.

An important thing that is NOT coming with us is your password; apparently password hash does not import well. So when you come back to the site you will have to set a new password. Please be aware of this going in.

For those of you who haven’t looked at your information in a while, now is really a good time to check your UserCP to be sure all your information – especially your email – going forward is correct.

Let me repeat that.

**When you arrive at the new site you will need to reset your password to get into the system.

Before we go to the new site please go to the UserCP and check your personal information to be sure it is correct, especially your email information. **

We will do our damndest to make this work for you as expeditiously as possible. Please expect that it’s not going to be a flawless experience right off the bat. You’ve been really patient with us for a long time and we will ask you for a little more of that patience and understanding. But as we get this happening and come out the other side we believe you will like this change and will enjoy the new board. We think you will especially enjoy the speed and flexibility of the new system; you’ll be able to engage the board like never before.

Once we all learn it I think you will like it. Like all new things there will be a bit of a learning curve and some getting used to new stuff

We are in the midst of preparing a user guide for you that we hope will be helpful. I’ll try to get that released before you get to the site.

I’m happy to answer your questions. May not yet be able to specifically answer all your questions – I’m still learning this too, and so are your mods – but I’ll tell you what I know and find out what I don’t. It’s a new experience for all of us and we’re going to learn how to do this together.
Looking forward to adventures in our new home and a better Straight Dope Experience.

Jenny
Your humble TubaDiva
Admnistrator

I just went there. We’re changing our name, too, or that’s just the host name?

This is exciting! :slight_smile:

For those of you with experience with other transitions how long do you expect the site be down when we can’t post at all? While I read the post it suggests less than a day (from Thursday to Friday). Do you believe this?

Losing the Dope now? A third of my life?
2020 STINKS.

Just went where?

Two annoying persnickety questions:

a) Will the ten zillion links to other posts that are sprinkled all over the place, by any remote chance, reconcile in some magical way once we’re over there, landing one on the converted equivalent?

b) Assuming the answer is “not a chance, of course not”, will the vBulletin version of the board still remain online in read-only format so that those links (and any external links people have saved over the years) still go to something?

I was looking at their vB conversion script, it looks like links should still work.

Years ago going from different software to vB the links mostly worked. There were a few oddballs that failed. This is 10 years later and what appears to be a superior product.

On the Discourse demo site there are embedded pics and videos galore. We have historically avoided having images in threads, with the exception of the Marketplace, even though vBulletin had that capability. We just recently in our history added avatars, are we going for the full multimedia experience in threads and changing that functionality also?

Change my password? Augh!

:smiley:

Will avatars carry over?

Name is the same. URL will be the same. Those things are not changing.

That’s the plan. Our reality may vary.

You’re not losing anything except those 504 errors. You’re getting better functionality, speed, etc.

The developers tell me all the links will be intact.

As to what happens to the old site when we’re done with it, I expect like the old horse it is, they’ll take it back behind the barn and shoot it. A mercy killing for sure.

Jenny
your humble TubaDiva
Administrator

Might not. Probably not. But those are easily replaced on the new site.

Jenny
your humble TubaDiva
Administrator

I’m guessing to the link in the OP, which is just for the Discourse website.
@Jasmine, the link in Jenny’s post would be like giving someone the link to vBulletin when discussing our site. It’s the software the runs the boards.

Does that mean we’re upgrading the servers as well?

1st thread, ATMB: *I need to change my user name to ***dafuqispassword **.

We do not expect to be one of those whiz-bang full of disco lights and video kind of sites.

Why is this an issue? You’ll go to the site (same url as always) and there will be a box asking you to change your password. You get a new password and everything is copacetic.

I guess we are; the site is hosted at Discourse. :smiley:

Jenny
your humble TubaDiva
Administrator

I bet a lot of people have invalid emails in their profile. Whatever email they had 20 years ago to setup the account may be long gone by now. Sure, it’s good advice to have a valid email in your profile, but it’s not really necessary to use the SDMB. Lots of people probably won’t be able to reset their password once we move to the new site. Even if the email thing is publicized, not everyone may be visiting the site at the moment. Hopefully there will be a way in the new site so that members with bad emails can get that fixed.

I assume the discord website is using discord for their community forums. You can see an example here: Categories - Discourse Meta

:smiley:

Jenny
your humble TubaDiva
Administrator

They have ported over the database several times now for testing and development, so they should have a good idea of how long it takes.

But you never know. Mr Murphy and his law and all of that.

I personally haven’t seen it work yet since the testing site uses different URLs, but we have been told that the links should work properly.

Quotes work slightly differently on Discourse and don’t have a link in them, so that won’t port over directly.

Yeah, but you’ve got passwords, so you should be ok. :wink:

Reminder to all - MAKE SURE YOUR E-MAIL ADDRESS IN YOUR USER CONTROL PANEL IS UP TO DATE. Just in case.

Mine did on the test site.

Will people with sock accounts have to reset the passwords for every account separately? :smiley:

How will “fossilized” threads (like Why bracelet? - Factual Questions - Straight Dope Message Board ) be handled?