This new site is great

I’m actually really liking this new site.

Sure, there are things that will take some getting used to but finally I can browse in dark mode, the quote function is great, you can see quickly what somebody is replying to, I like the instant preview. And personally I prefer to have a bunch of smilies (can’t believe I haven’t seen any complaints about that yet) and I like the little picture previews from links to sites such as Wikipedia.

Also: no time out errors! :medal_sports: :tada: :fireworks: :rocket: :boom: :boom:

EDIT: the smilies aren’t working/have been disabled. Okay I guess that’s fair.

I haven’t gotten really used to it, but I’m sure it’s a great site only I lack the knowledge or skills to make a correct evaluation. I am learning with hope. Or is it “hopefully”? :slight_smile:

It does seem that even though I can enter emoji into my post, they don’t seem to show up. :confused:

I wonder if the old BBcode ones work :slight_smile: :wink:

edit: nope, not yet.

I could swear that I’ve seen them in quotes or something. I tried to add one here as an experiment. Hope I don’t get banned for altering quoted text.

ETA: well that went even worse than I expected. Meh, I’m leaving it.

Trying putting the cursor over the part you want to quote, then hitting the gray quote button that appears. No coding required.

Bummer if that’s what you did because it’s working great so far, I think.

Thanks, Roo. That is what I did, although I did go on to edit the quoted contents. This time I am straight-up quoting with no shenanigans. We’ll see what happens.

Heh. Just as I wrote that note above, I messed it up, so I’m trying again. First, hit the reply to the person you want to reply to ~then~ do the cursor over the part you want to quote and hit the quote button. Then the person you’re quoting gets notified.

And don’t hit the asterisk. That does weird things. Don’t ask how I know. lol

LOL. Clearly it is me, somehow. OK, based on your new post I’ll try one more time…

Testing… testing…

ETA: HA! Obviously I am doing something dumb. OK, I’m out for now but thanks for trying to help me here. Heh!

So far, so good. Seriously.

I was initially a little worried that I would not make heads or tails of the new site, but after spending a couple of hours around here I feel I may be able to learn how to make use of the new environment successfully and enjoy the experience.

Lets see how well quoting works on mobile.

Agreed. And, wow, nestled quotes work again and its easy as pie to decide if you want to include the old quote or not!

Yes, it’s very quick, and it actually WORKS! I can’t believe that some people are actually crying in their beer because we left that mess behind.

[quote=“Borborygmi, post:10, topic:911308, full:true”]

[quote=“Heffalump_and_Roo, post:8, topic:911308”]
First, hit the reply to the person you want to reply to ~then~ do the cursor over the part you want to quote and hit the quote button. Then the person you’re quoting gets notified. [/quote]

Testing… testing…

ETA: HA! Obviously I am doing something dumb. OK, I’m out for now but thanks for trying to help me here. Heh! [/quote]

I think the end-quote tag MUST be the last thing on the line for it to work? No I’m getting the same thing. Maybe the bbtag must be upper case? No, that’s not it. Edit: Putting them back lower case.

That’s weird, I’ve been quoting a bunch but this only happens when I quote you …

Just verifying quoting works with someone who is not Borbs.

Well, my first post here, just to say hey, I made it through.

This is going to take a lot of getting used to. That’s all I’ll say for now.

Right, squire - you go on ahead of me and I’ll bring up the rear. By jove!

In case this might help you troubleshoot, your quote tags match mine exactly, Same formatting and post number and topic number. It also might help that preview to the right works when it works. If the quote formatting on the left matches the formatting on the right, yout post is not working. The right version shows what it will post as, so that should have no coding. You don’t have to post to test it.

My off the cuff guess is that you have a script blocker that’s interfering. But I can only see one script for Discourse and one for Straight Dope. I enabled both, but I don’t think I could see anything if I didn’t. But I did have to enable 18 CSS codes. Maybe you have one of them blocked?

It’s slow for me. Even slower than the old site usually was. I’ve spent a LOT of time looking at spinning circles. I’m finding it very frustrating.