It's wrong, but I say it anyway

A couple of times recently I found myself turning to someone else and saying “I have an alumni on the phone who wants to know X”.

Alumni is plural- as I know even if the young lady on the phone did not. Alumna would ( I think) be the better word to describe each of these young ladies (with alumnus reserved for the young men who make similar phone calls- though somehow I never answered calls from males referring to themselves as alumni).

It is my conviction that we are moving towards a society that doesn’t bother with these distinctions and the word “Alumni” will be used as both singular and plural- unless the truly stupid start adding an “s” to make the new plural. This is partly due to the fact that there are many occassions when simply using the plural makes more sense than using the singular. (“Services for Alumni”, “Alumni Weekend” vs. “I am an alumn(whatever)”-- heck, I think I have heard people use “alumn” as the singular form before).

Nothing at all.

Somehow I get more satisfaction out of saying it wrong, though. :slight_smile:

Way too many dashes and exclamation points in my internet writing. I must sound like an excited puppy dog.

Susan

What I can’t get my head around is the idea that the musical term isn’t the main reason for this word having found its way into common English use. Why should a French origin be considered the ‘correct’ one, whereas the familair-to-many Italian pronunciation be shunned as incorrect?

French “forte” = “strength”
Italian “forte” = “loud”

The period goes outside of the quotation marks “unless it’s part of the quoted material”.

Period.

Not in American usage.

Wow. I know that these are technically non-standard English, but it still startled me a little to see them in this thread, being as they’re such a natural part of my dialect.

I proudly use the word “ain’t” to form double negatives, and I’ll continue to do so until the day I die.

I’m American, and that’s the way I do it.
yBeayf said, ‘Not in American Usage’.

**yBeayf said ‘not in American Usage’.

Then you’re doing it British/Commonwealth style.

I am a linguistics barbarian. Hang out with me long enough and I’ll likely break a rule or two and never miss a beat. I hear the mistakes of others, though, and sometimes it drives me crackers.

I use the word anxious to mean “excited, eager”. (ie. I’m anxious to see you again) I recently read that anxious only means anxiety; however, in checking m-w.com, it can also mean eager as well. Now I don’t know if I’m anxious or only eager…<sigh>

Oh, and I agree with yBeayf on the proper punctuation with quotes. I was taught that the period always preceeds the quote marks.

I say “samwich” or “sanwich” or something in between, or even “sammich” if I’m feeling frisky.

I don’t remember how I was taught in school, but most of my literature has it the way I use it.

But it looks so lonely out there all by itself!

Just a friendly reminder that this thread is all about things that we “know” are “wrong” but we do them “anyway”.

But thanks for pointing out that we’re doing it wrong. :slight_smile:

I like to think it enjoys the space, or in some cases a double-space.

Data is like water: if you add more data, you still have data. You take some data away, and you still have data. This theoretical singular “datum” is quite elusive and pointless; if you have one person’s birth date is that a datum? But you can divide it up into a birth month and date and year - so really it’s data. And even the year can be divided up into century and… well you get the idea. “Data” should be a collective noun.

I’ll give a hearty round of applause for that one. Sorry, grammer-police, but your arbitrary style is illogical and sometimes misleading, and it’s time to change.

So there!

You used “data” as a singular noun? Those are good news! :slight_smile:

But I thought you were saying you quoted American style, and the British one was correct… or something… nevermind.

<drinks more coffee>

I always say/write “anyway” as “anyways”. I (now) know it’s incorrect, but I’ve said it that way my whole life, and the right way just feels wrong to me.

I have to admit, I’ve been known to say “this is a whole nother thing”, rather than another whole thing. Looks silly in print, but that’s how it comes out in talking.