It's wrong, but I say it anyway

I’ll admit it. I use the completely fictional word “disconcur” all the time.

I say “ATM Machine” though it bothers me when I do it. I also say “ISBN Number”. I try not to, but I do.

::hangs head in shame::

When speaking, liberal use of the word “ain’t.” I also use such phrases as “don’t got.” I grew up in a rural area where everyone spoke this way, and it’s just stuck with me. I’m a stickler when writing, however.

Ask them if the rice that came with their Chinese takeout are sufficiently hot, or if you need to heat them up in the microwave oven.

Salmon rhymes with “gal men”. Walk and balk and talk have fully pronounced Ls in them too. Deal with it.

If Joe says “Punctuation marks come after the quotation marks.”, ending his sentence in a period, I’m quoting that period and therefore enclosing it within the quotation marks regardless of whether or not I’m ending my sentence with “Punctuation marks come after the quotation marks.”.

And in agreement with each of the men and women who have already commented on “they” and “their” as gender-neutral singular pronoun / possessives, I’m adding my “me too” to their entry.

I also have a bad habit of using the word “seriously” for emphasis in sentences where I’m not being serious at all. For example, “I’m seriously considering opening the project manager and killing the virus scanner process.” The worst thing is that it really annoys me when people use the word “literally” in the same way.

Unless I’m missing something, this isn’t a comparable example (the original singular of data which the pedants are implicitly referring to is ‘datum’).

I can’t even bring myself to say “datum.” To me that’s practically on the same order of things as people who insist that the plural of “octopus” is “octopedes.”

It’s “octopodes.” :wink:

But only in the Antipodes.

Wait’ll you hear geographers talk about geodetic datums.

On a not altogether unrelated note, I decided the other day that the singular of rice should be rouse.

I talk about Espressos and Cappuccinos. Espressi and Cappuccini are a bit pretentious in most situations. I do take issue with Panini being used as the singular – that’s a bit bizarre, but more establishments are starting to get it right.

Nobody ever told me that using ‘they’ in place of ‘he/she’ was wrong until it was far too late.

Having grown up in southern Ohio, I stubbornly say “the lawn needs mowed.”

I happen to think that’s not wrong at all, but it sure does annoy some people.

I like it. I also argue that given the plural of goose is geese, the plural of moose is…

Pretentious? They’ve got to be taking the piss. My god. Please, tell me they’re not serious.

“How’s you?” and “I likes it.”

I can’t explain it. It’s so wrong that it should make me bleed from my pores, but I likes it, rabbit.

kerfluffle.

Why bother? Rice already is singular. Then again, I like the idea of “rouse.” It’s easier than “grain of rice.”

E.g.: “Excuse me, there’s a rouse on your necktie.”

Exactly. “A grain of rice” seems so superflous. Rouse fills the need nicely.

Exactly. “A grain of rice” seems so superfluous. Rouse fills the need nicely.