I've decided I'm going to start taking a full grocery cart to the express lane

‘Grudgingly’ not ‘begrudgingly’.

What supermarkets need most of all is a separate lane (or several) for shoppers with WIC coupons! Those take horribly long for the cashiers to deal with, and WIC shoppers commonly have a while handful of them!

What’s wrong with begrudgingly?

Where do you live that this is a thing to worry about?

I think supermarkets should have a milk/bread/eggs line, too. In fact, I have a theory that they should have a drive-through lane for those three items only.

Not always true, but I still look for a predominantly male line if I’m in a store with a crowd. No price checks (if there’s a dispute about price, we seem to skip getting the item), no coupons, cash ready to go. In general, men move more quickly, regardless of age.

I just want a system in place which lets other customers (especially me) know in advance of putting all their (my) items on the conveyor that the person in front of me is getting her bazillion items home delivered. No one (neither the customer nor the checkout operator) ever bothers to tell anyone unless it’s effectively too late to put all their (my) stuff back in the trolley and the process of writing the home delivery dockets, sticking them onto the 20 bags and then taking these bags to the home delivery sections takes bloody forever.

I’m a patient woman, really I am, but this pisses me off no end. If I knew in advance that the lol in front of me was having her stuff home delivered, I could choose another checkout. But no one ever says.

Just hold your cell phone to your ear. :smiley:

even though you qualified with “not always true”, i’m REALLY tired of seeing this meme in grocery threads. i’m female, usually have less than 10 items, i don’t bother with coupons, and i have my card swiped and ready to process by the time my groceries are bagged. (rarely do i run into the mythical problems with the card reader that the cash-only types always seem to encounter) and i know i’m not alone in that. please, enough of this nonsense.

This happened at the grocery store where I usually shop.

Heh, keying in prices, I’m old enough to remember working in a shop where I added up the price in my head then keyed in the total. ETA it was a time of rampant inflation and the prices changed three times in six months to boot.

Every generation tends to have a change that they don’t cotton to. My mother’s generation (born in the thirties) of women usually didn’t pump their own gas. My generation of women ( we’re in our late forties to early sixties) tend not to use self checkout. Come to think of it, my grandmother tended to “trade” at the local store where even in the early seventies, they would pick your grocery order from the list that you gave to them. It’s the level of service to which we become accustomed.

I hate regular self checkout, but my local Tesco has recently introduced these little handheld scanners that you take round the store with you. They are great. You scan items and bag them at your leisure as you go round the shop, instead of having to do it all at once at the end, in a panic, with people behind you in line getting mad. (Here in Britain we don’t have baggers, even on manned checkouts. You have to do it yourself, though you might get a little bit of help from the cashier if you are lucky.) Then at the end it downloads all your data wirelessly into the checkout machine.

Yeah, I’m tired of white ladies clutching their purses more tightly as I go by on the street because there’s tons of 50-something purse-snatchers that look like Rog from What’s Happenin!, but hey, let me help you with that cross, soul sistah. :cool:

I’d like men only checkouts. Maybe it’s an Aussie thing but 90% of the time women seem surprised that they have to pay. Long after being told the damage they reach into their handbag, get out their purse, extract the requisite money or card, pay for the groceries and then laboriously reverse the whole process before leaving. It is the same at self serve checkouts and ATMs. It’s as though they have no awareness of how to hurry things along.

I’d support the idea of ‘men only’ checkouts if men had to use those checkouts and no other. I’m tired of putting my items on the conveyor only to have some entitled bloke saunter up, show his three to five items and expect to be allowed to jump the queue.

OP, I too am annoyed that there are other people in line. Don’t they know that there are in my line? They should be in some other line. They are not buying that food for my house, so why are they in line ahead of me?

I feel for ya. Just the other day I was heading to the checkout with a full cart. The regular lanes had people in them, but the express was open. I walked past and the express lane cashier waved me in. I said I had too much for the express, but she said come on ahead.

So I’m getting a full cart scanned-and-bagged in the express lane when someone else comes up with 2 items in their hands and gives me very dirty looks.

That wasn’t you by any chance? :smiley:

If I’m in an express checkout line and the person ahead of me has more than the number of items, I count them very loudly and state “It’s been said that 10% of people don’t know how to read or count. And they’re all in the express line.” I then turn to the person behind me and ask their opinion on it.

I’ve had some fine conversations on the subject. If the person ahead of me says anthing, I said in a very haughty voice “I wasn’t talking to you.”

Surely you are making this up. In my many decades of grocery shopping I have never seen anyone jump the queue at all, let alone by showing a number of items. Do you shop in some weird place like Vaucluse or Toorak.