I've done X so many times, you'd think I'd be better at it than I am

Maybe you could get someone to lend you a hand?

Chess. I’ve been playing against my phone for every day for about a year, and I still struggle to beat the advanced beginner level (~1200, I think). I am getting better, but a lot slower than one would think.

I can’t beat any of my human opponents, although they tell me I am improving.

This is me as well. Bought my first guitar in 88 and had years I played quite a bit and years I didn’t. I’m back to playing quite a bit and am getting better but it is glacially slow improvement. However, I love playing and it is very relaxing for me so I don’t mind the slow progress. I have low goals so I don’t mind if I spend an hour noodling. I do try to get in some actual “practice” most days though.

Typing.
I took typing in HS and have been a software developer for 20 some years. Still can’t touch type, still don’t use my pinkies

When someone says “You have a poor sense of direction,” I say “No, I have no sense of direction.” And I mean none. I walk every day, and yet still get lost in my own neighborhood. I have a fantastic memory, and have memorized every building in my neighborhood and place of work. Yet I still get lost.

It’s genetic. No female in my family has any sense of direction.

Frames for my art work. I’ve made close to 50 mitered frames, and yet the one I’m currently working on has gone horribly wrong. And I don’t even know how it went wrong. The art work itself is flawless, yet the frame may have to be redone.

Writing sentesnses without typos or messed up word arrangement wrong.

I’ve written goddamned novels. You’d think I could string words together competently by now!

That is good advice.

Throwing a baseball overhand. I have good distance and accuracy throwing underhand, because we grew up playing softball on a really small lot so we had to throw underhanded. But something blocks me from giving an overhand-ball the right spin or “snap” that it needs.

Talk like Donald Duck. I’m a reasonably good mimic and can mine my way through many celebrity voices as well as various sounds. But I can’t get to the real Donald. Got your Daffy, Bugs, Goofy and Fudd. They’re no challenge. I’m constantly duck-grumbling in the car by myself, and under my breath at home, singing songs and saying anything D. Duck like. I got all the noise, but not the hearable words. Frustrating. Sixty-eight years of frustrating. I’m working overtime right now, cuz I got a grandson to impress.

Is your name Ted Striker? :wink:

Hammering a nail. I have legendarily poor eye-hand coordination, so any kind of work with hand tools is an adventure. When I hammer, I hit the surrounding drywall so much my walls look like golf balls.

Playing Video games. I have played them most of my life but I will always stink at the twitchy reflex based games.

^This. I can 10-key by touch like a mad man, but cannot touch type.

Married three times…

Auto repair: I love learning new things and trying them out, but if an expert says a job is an easy one hour repair, I quadruple how long it’s going to take.

Stop stirring. Use a medium-high heat, keep the eggs moving until they set, then tilt the pan and slide the eggs away from you to the edge of the pan, doing a little flipping motion, causing the omelet to fold onto itself. Takes practice and only about a minute or two.

Alternative: Once set, tilt the pan toward a plate. As the omelet slides out of the pan, allow it to ‘grab’ the edge of your dish. Keep pulling the pan away until half of the round (flat) omelet is on the plate, then flick the pan, folding the egg circle over on itself.

It is harder to explain in words than it is to do.
mmm