I've got overripe banannas, anyone have a good recipe?

I’m looking for a good bananna bread recipe or something else that you can do with them.

ooooppps. Brain fart. I meant to post this in MPSIMS. Mr moderator, would you be so kind as to transfer this topic?..unless you guys want to debate the merits of overripe banannas that is…

Hey! What do you have against overripe banannas?!? I suppose you’re amongst that heathenistic “Underripe bananna” crowd, aren’t ys, you damn hippie!!

Okay, now that we got the DEBATE out of the way…

My mom used to make a simple dish with banannas somewhat past their expiration date. Simply mush said 'nanners up with sour cream and add sugar to taste. A cheap dessert item, and pretty tasty too!

Yer pal,
Satan

hahahaha yeah, I suppose I could have segued into banannas that rippen too quickly being a part of a conspiracy by Chiquita, but I thought I’d do the honorable thing this time…

bananas
vanilla ice cream
milk
nutmeg
blender
yum!

In answer to the question in the topic title, my answer is “yes”.

Joy of cooking
banana bread
add chocolate chips
yum

Check www.webtender.com for my favorite banana recipes (the ones with rum in them).

No one wants to debate this? Come on!

How ripe must a banana be before it is overripe? Who are we to judge?

Does the First Amendment cover websites that advertise “Hot Underripe Bananas”?

Back off, man. I’m a scientist.

John - LOL

Fantastic, I’m your girl for recipes :).

Here’s the recipe I use:

Banana Bread

5 very ripe bananas
4 eggs
1 cup margarine or butter
2 1/2 cups white sugar
3 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups chopped walnuts, optional

In a medium bowl, beat bananas. Add eggs, and beat to combine. In large bowl, beat shortening and gradually add sugar. Stir in vanilla and banana mixture. Whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt; blend into batter. Add walnuts if desired. Divide between two 9 x 5 inch greased loaf pans. Bake at 300 degrees F for 1 hour, 15 minutes. Makes 2 loaves.

Also - go look here - I’ve used a couple of these and they were delicious.

Banana Bread Recipes

trisha

Banana abuse! Now there’s a topic to debate!

– Sylence

And now, for my next trick, I will talk in spooky half-references.

rmariamp wrote:

That is one of the oddest Haikus I’ve ever read.

Anyone wanna beat MY bananna? It’s ripe, i assure you… :slight_smile:

Yer pal,
Satan

Satan, I’ll beat it as soon as you learn how to spell it :wink:

Satan, darlin’, I’ll make banana bread with you anytime. :wink:

Tahitian Lanai Banana Muffins

Ingrediments:

2 lbs mashed bananas
3 sticks of butter (1 1/2 cups)
3 Cups granulated sugar
4 Cups cake flour
6 eggs, beaten
1/2 Tablespoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon of banana extract
1/2 teaspoon of salt

Preheat oven to 350F

Sift together the cake flour, baking soda, and salt (run everything through your sifter three times).

Cream together the butter and sugar (in a BIG bowl), then add the eggs, bananas, and flavored extracts, and mix well. Add the dry ingredients, and mix your batter until it’s just mixed enough (if that seems a little vague, I’m sorry. Just keep in mind that most muffin recipes, whether from scratch of from a mix direct you to leave some lumps in the batter. Do that here, and you’ll be okay).

Divide the batter among your (greased and floured) muffin tins. Bake for about twelve minutes, or until the muffins are golden brown.

Yield: approx. 4 dozen muffins.

Use standard sized muffin tins, please. Kaylasmom and I got this recipe in 1984, before huge, rip-the-top-off muffins had found their way to Hawaii, and I’m not confident that that size will be reliable with the baking time and temperatures given.

We really fell for these muffins at brunch at the Tahitian Lanai Restaurant at the Waikikian Hotel in Honolulu, and the management was kind enough to provide us with this recipe.

And THEN, the BASTARDS charged us $250.00 for the recipe!!! So be sure to e-mail this to all your friends!!! Oh, wait. That was the Neiman Marcus cookies, wasn’t it? Neve mind. They were nice and gav us the recipe for free. And the muffins are REALLY good. But you might want to divide the recipe.

banana bread is a good one. I use my mom’s recipe ( but don’t have it here by me. . . BUT!. . . if I my kids don’t eat all the bananas before they start turning black, I just pop em into the freezer. They will mush a lot, but heck, they’ll be perfect for a banana bread recipe. NOTE: when we were kids, my sister loved mom’s banana bread so much she would immediately put the nanners in the freezer ( they would turn black and mushy so mom had no alternative but to make the b.b.) :wink:

One must learn by doing things; for though you think you know it you have no certainty until you try.
–Sophacles

Ok, a little late, but I’m moving it to MPSIMS, as requested.

David B, SDMB Great Debates Moderator