I've got this perverse urge to....

… read a book about the American Revolution, and I’m wondering if there are any history buffs who can recommend a particularly good one for a non-history buff. I’d prefer to avoid the insufferably dry academia drivel, and I’m looking for something that really brings out the STORY (passion, intrigue, etc.) of our nation’s founding. Any suggestions?

(P.S. Sorry about the lasciviously-themed post… just an attention-getter! ;D )

Jennifer

“Malt does more than Milton can/ To justify God’s ways to Man”

I am trying to remember if this book was about the American Revolution, or the Civil War, but one book that I especially liked was My Brother Sam Is Dead. I read it some time ago, so I’m not positive on the time-era. I do remember that is was a very interesting story regarding the split in a family when father and son are on different sides. (Hmm, that in itself seems to be a vote for Civil War era.)

A book that does not cover the entire revolution and war, but does bring a pivotal event to life (with a lot of information that illuminates other parts of the war is Saratoga : Turning Point of America’s Revolutionary War by Richard M. Ketchum. It was just released in paperback a couple of months ago.

Very thorough, very even-handed, not dry at all.

Tom~

George Scheer and Hugh Rankin; REBELS AND REDCOATS:THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION THROUGH THE EYES OF THOSE WHO FOUGHT AND LIVED IT (1957)

This is a collection of diary and journal entries and letters, telling the story in the words of the participants.

“I know of no book where, within a single pair of covers either the professional student or the general reader can attain, in one vivid apprehension, a more stimulating sense of what is truly was to have been there.” – NEW YORK HERALD TRIBUNE BOOK REVIEW.

Uke

I myself am rather fond of Don’t Know Much About History. While it covers much more than the Revolutionary War, it’s written in a very easy-to-read style, not dry in the least. The author is Kenneth C. Davis, and he’s also written books about the geography, the Civil War, and the Bible. They are all titled Don’t Know Much About…, and they’re all pretty good.