Jackie Robinson statue stolen from Kansas park

Some people don’t have any respect for history. A statue this unique will be easy to identify.

There’s a different statue at Dodger stadium.

https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/jackie-robinson-statue-stolen-kansas-park-106724022

This is terrible, but so is modern journalism. I expected the article to put a dollar number on its scrap value.

If it was bronze most likely taken for the metal. We’ve had church bells, a statue made by the late actor and sculptor Anthony Quinn, and numerous bronze grave markers stolen in this tiny state in recent years.

I thought in Baseball you’re only meant to steal bases?

Shoeless Jack.

mmm

It wasn’t stolen for scrap value

So just pure hatred, got it. That is so much worse than someone seeing an opportunity to make a buck.

Days before Black History Month.

Anyone think it’s a coincidence?

Jackie dealt with racism his entire life. I’ve heard Fans yelled & threw stuff when he started playing for the Brooklyn Dodgers.

Apparently, for some idiots the hate continues.

Probably not. As you get closer to Black History Month, the media tends to start featuring influential Black figures such as Robinson. It might have been what gave the racists the idea in the first place.

Jackie will live again. :wink:

This time they need a high def camera and good lighting to keep it more secure.

Link Jackie Robinson statue stolen from Kansas park found burned in trash can: 'Heartbreaking discovery'

An article yesterday from The Athletic (unfortunately paywalled) stated that the original mold has been located, so a replacement should be able to be created relatively soon.

How much would the statue have weighed? I assume taking it was a group effort.

Video footage showed two guys carrying it to a pickup and then driving away. So probably not more than 100-150 lbs?

That makes sense. I guess a solid statue would be much more expensive and harder to set up.

They can remove the statue, which is just a thing, and that’s bad. But they cannot change the history of the man. A-holes.

Can a bronze of that size even be cast solid, because of cooling issues?

This time after casting the bronze, put a coat of wax on the inside of the shell and fill it with a caustic acid.

So next time someone tries this they get a surprise.

The GoFundMe for the statue replacement is now over $140,000, according to ESPN. But according to a local TV station, Major League Baseball and 30 MLB clubs have committed to covering the funding for the new statue.

In the interview with Bob Lutz, the director of League 42, Lutz said that the GoFundMe donations would be used for new turf, lighting, and other needs.

It’s at least a little comforting to know that MLB is going to cover the cost of the replacement. It would have been too easy to just make a statement about it and then go on with their normal business. This is at least more than lip service.

And the morons that perpetrated this crime have drawn much more attention to Jackie Robinson this month than otherwise may have come his way, as well as highlighting that we still have a long way to go.