Jam Bands

Young folks on the forum might know Phish, widespread panic, blues traveler, the spin doctors, medeski, martin and wood, etc… Older users might dig the Grateful Dead and the Allman Brothers… What do you guys think? I’m a huge fan and I think jam bands make the best music out there… And I LOVE talking about it, so if there’s any other fans lets get a conversation going!

I dislike the label, as I think most fans do. It’s stupid. But ignoring the semantics of it, a lot of what I listen to is lumped into this category. And yes, I do think music that relies on improvisation is the most exciting thing to listen to. Thursday, I saw the Allman Brothers for the 30th time. I wouldn’t do that for a band that played the same songs the same way every night. That’s what makes a song, and a show, really worthwhile to me. After years of listening, I sort of don’t get why people find music that lacks that quality interesting.

I’m not older folks, though. I’m 21. :slight_smile: The other bands I’m really into are the Derek Trucks Band, Gov’t Mule, and Phil and Friends (who are apparently making something of a comeback, finally).

Yeah, I was thinking about saying I disliked the label, but neglected it. I do think it’s ignorant, most definitely. The majority of musical labels are. And I love Gov’t Mule. I recently bought Rishing Low, Mike Gordon’s film… I must say as a bassplayer that movie is like heaven to me :wink:

Yeah, it would be, wouldn’t it? :wink: I’ve got both of those albums, there’s a lot of great music on there.

I am also a big fan of this genre, as could probably be deduced from my user name (Jerry for Garcia, bear for the Grateful Dead dancing bears).

I will be going to the Dead, Robert Hunter, and Bob Dylan show in Columbus, Ohio in August. Although Dylan is not really all that into “jamming,” I really like his music (well, with the exception of the gospel albums) and am really looking forward to this.

I’m a huge Phish fan, will be heading up to Limestone, Maine for the 3rd time this August

I love the Grateful dead, and was quite the little tourmonkey back in the day, but haven’t experienced any of the later incarnations.

I haven’t seen Widespread since they lost their guitarist. How are they sounding lately?

Pat Metheny and Lyle Mays were pretty astounding when they’d get smoking. The improvisational sections of “Phase Dance” are some of my favorites.

It’s hard to tell if John Petrucci is jamming or just has incredible scripting abilities, but when he showed up at G3 last year, he blew the doors off of Steve Vai and Satch. I really want to see him again. Dream Theater’s all right, but when Petrucci’s off on his own he’s simply outstanding.

I’m a big “Jam band” fan, no matter how bad the label is. My favorites are Phish and MMW. I dig all good music, though :slight_smile:

I think John Medeski is god in human form.