James Webb Space Telescope general discussion thread

Anyone heard recently about JWST returning some early data that seems to run counter to many of the assumptions we have about the Big Bang?

I saw a coupled of videos recommended by YT about it (click bait AFAICT) but
i didn’t watch them.
…but space has denied it.

Well, I saw a video that said scientists are shocked to discover the Webb telescope is so sensitive, it can hear the screams of all the atheists in Hell.

I think you are correct. These details tend to get glossed over in popular coverage of astronomy.

I also believe that what makes these observations significant is the time, rather than the distance. If the light has taken 12 billion years to reach us, the galaxy must have formed when the universe was only about a billion years old, give or take. Analyzing the light tells us how the universe has grown and developed.

Perhaps you mean the surprising data about very early galaxies and black holes apparently being larger than theories predicted they could have grown so early?

Yes. Another surprise was that early galaxies appear to be much smoother than expected, making the frequency of galactic collisions appear much more rare than anticipated.

I think that the most disappointing thing that JWST could have done is to return data that exactly fits the models that we already have.

Orion Nebula: JWST versus Hubble Space Telescope (HST). Credit: NASA

There’s a winged creature in the Orion Nebula!

That’ll be a space owl.

(where’d you find those pics ? I wish they’d have just 1 central picture
repository !)

Got these from this article Webb telescope captures 'breathtaking' images of Orion Nebula

Looks more like an space-eagle to me

Cheers !
(definitely an owl)

Crossover from the Questionable Content thread

I hope they make a wall calendar of photos from this telescope for next year. (I always get one of those for my husband.)

Black holes being larger than theories predict they could have grown to is old, old news. That one’s been a puzzle for decades.

Which just means, of course, that we don’t know the mechanism, not that there isn’t one.

An’ it’s comin’ right for us!

I suppose it could be space eagle owl.
(but i don’t think they’re native to this galaxy)

Also looks a bit like a Romulan warbird firing off a plasma torpedo.

Then all we have to do is fly backwards really fast until the plasma breaks up enough to be survivable. Should be easy enough.

The JWST has done its first imaging of Mars.

Mars Is Mighty in First Webb Observations of Red Planet – James Webb Space Telescope (nasa.gov)

This seems to be more of a proof of concept than cutting edge research, but it shows that Webb has abundant potential to study the planets of the solar system as well as distant galaxies.

New Pic of Neptune. It is on the NASA page, but I’m linking the ARS Technica article as it has the Voyager and Hubble images as well (it has a link to the NASA page)

Brian