Jane Fonda referred by Congress to DOJ for treason

Obviously this has not happened. And Ms Fonda is not treasonous. But if a congressional committee referred this to the DOJ, would the DOJ be obliged to investigate?

No.

thanks for your thoughtful reply. Could you expand on that?

In this hypothetical, is any evidence at all presented to the DOJ, as it was in Trump’s case?

Is there evidence of her levying war against the United States or adhering to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort?

My point is, and I stated this in my OP, She is not guitly of treason. But if Congress recommends her to the DOJ for Treason, are they obliged to investigate? Even if everyone knows she doesn’t meet the criminal definition of treason.

So, no evidence whatsoever, just a declaration? As far as I know, they cannot compel the DOJ to take action and, unless higher ups in the DOJ are of the same political persuasion as those in Congress that made the recommendation and willing to forgo their duty to advance said politics, it probably won’t happen.
If this is supposed to be a debate, would you mind stating your opinion/position?

My Opinion is that the DOJ has a lot of lawyers.
Congress has a lot of politicians.
Jane Fonda is not legally guilty of Treason. Despite what some politicians say.

WTHF? Is there something somewhere in your OP that you wish to debate?

It’s a “bait and switch” or “teaser” thread title. We don’t like those.

Okay: Congress has no authority over the Department of Justice.

Congress has authority over the DOJ. So if Congress decides that Jane Fonda is guilty of treason, the DOJ must prosecute Jane Fonda for treason?

Cite?

what does WTHF mean?

It was reply to DR Drake

You’re new around here, aren’t you? If you make a claim like “Congress has authority over the DOJ”, you’re expected to provide a source for that claim.

The obvious counter example is that Trump is accused of treason. The Biden appointed Attorney General, Merrick Garland, has not seen fit to charge Trump

The US constitution has check and balances

Please provide a citation that the Congressional committee has made a referral to the DOJ for the specific crime of treason.

You are correct. The Congressional committee has not done so