Japanese anime

Clearly you have developed a tasteful and discreet appreciation for the many vagaries of Japanese history and culture …

Well… We DID blow the shit outta them. I’m not going to sugarcoat it, WE,the U.S.A., seat of worldwide freedom, the world’s niceguy, blew the SHIT out of the Japanese just because they bombed a silly port. I’m on the Japanese side here. Couldn’t we have scared the Russians by, Idunno… Bombing the damn Russians? However, this is about Japanese animation. I’m sorry for going off topic. Hey, here’s a question. Why are the Japanese so interested in pre-pubescent girls? Eeewwww, the only thing I don’t like about anime.

She’s fourteen huh? Eeeewwww… old stuff!

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
Kyoko Baby,
Shane

Go to www.straightdope.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/003476.html for another anime thread I started, entitled “They don’t LOOK Japanese.”

Fighting my own ignorance since 1957.

Ophanim, what exactly do you mean when you say “the Gendou hands thing”? Was this some sort of merchandising deal or something? I love NGE but have no idea what you are talking about there. Also, have you seen “Otaku no video”? I bet you’d like that, judging by your sig.

oh wait… I was thinking that “GOD BLESS THE OTAKU!!!” was your sig

Ophanim–Given your views on WW2, I have some anime/manga titles I think you would love to see.
“Grave Of The Fireflies”

“Barefoot Gen”

Give them a try, & then E-Mail me.

I’d love to hear what you think of them.

All the real anime fans here know what I mean already…

Is an appreciation of beauty a function of the human soul?

Waitaminute?!? Didn’t you call me a turkey? That’s ok, I blame myself it was a poorly done topic and I shall commence ritual Sepuku at first light. I actually was able to see “Grave” at a Udayton Anime Club meeting, and I very much enjoyed it! Perhaps I shall order it from Anime Nation. Hey, is it just me or does the 30% off sale never end there. Anyway, I’ve never seen Barefoot Gen or Otaku no Video, but now I will.
Gendou’s hands almost never leave his face. This saves money because the same cell can be used over and over. Did you know that in Japan, Otaku is the equivalent of Fanboy here? Read that in Animerica. Hey! Why is Animerica a normal otaku mag, whereas Animerica.com is a filthy hentai site? I guess that Animerica’s legal team isn’t as hard assed as The Chicago Reader’s. Again long live the Otaku.

Who here hasn’t seen Macross Plus? Because if you haven’t, you really should.

Kyoko Baby,
Shane

I know this is off thread but I will not let this go unchallenged.

Ophanim blithers,

“WE,the U.S.A., seat of worldwide freedom, the world’s niceguy, blew the SHIT out of the Japanese just because they bombed a silly port.”

American losses, 3,700 US citizens, 349 aircraft and 18 warships. Damage to property and infrastructure was never estimated.

I happen to live within 5 miles of that “silly” port you mention. You think fan boys get riled up when you call it japanimation? Try spewing that crap at a veterans hall around Dec. 7th.

Ophanim, you might want to ask some of your Japanese friends about the meaning of “otaku”. (It’s usually used as a derogatory term.)

Ok,ok, you’re right. I get caught up in the moment and start sounding all unpatriotic and cruel. Your right, the bombing of Pearl Harbor was a pretty shitty thing to do. I won’t disagree with you on that. However, that was a pretty shitty war. The Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor because it was close. The biggest fucking sneak attack in world history. Who knew the Japs could fight? Anyway, here comes big iron nuts, the U.S.A… We’ve just found out that we hold the power of God, let’s blow something up. Letsee, we got several uninhabited islands, and naval bases in Kyoto and Kawasaki. Aww hell gentlemen let’s just kill some civies and go for Hiroshima, there’s a big assed base there, and a average sized metrocomplex. I know that Hiroshima wasn’t originally planned but still civilian casualties makes me sick. My grandfather fought in WWII and he believed that both the Japanese and Americans did equal atrocities. To think that we are any less to blame is just blind patriotism.
Mikan, can you read? I wrote “Otaku is the Japanese equivalent to fanboy” are you saying that fanboy isn’t a derogatory term here? Also, I like being an Anime fanboy. I wouldn’t wanna be any other kind. Long live the Otaku.

Kyoko Baby,
Shane

The topic is anime, folks. Not Pearl Harbor, not Hiroshima, not bombs and war or any of that crap. Anime. Cartoons. Art. Whatever you call it, stick to it please.