Japanese computer fastest in world! 5 X faster than nearest US competitor!

Oh no! We’ve got a gigaflops gap! What are we gonna do?

As an American I feel so … so 386ish. We’ve got to get back to the point that we’ve got the top 'flops or… well we’d be second best and that isn’t an option little mister, so you ladies at IBM better begin burning the midnight oil!
Japanese supercomputer takes world’s fastest title from US

The US Defense department may not have acknowledged a few of the computers it owns…

Like that iMac sitting in the ‘Top Secret’ room.

Feh. We got guns.

But can I play games with it?

The IRS is said missing over 2300 computers. Maybe they are not missing after all, but being threaded together into a massive no-mistake auditing machine that can do about 200000 audits at the same time.

This caught my eye…

Feh. We had computers that size decades ago. If anything, Japan is fifty years behind us. They might as well be using vacuum tubes.

:smiley:

Here is the official press release, with pictures.

By the way, IBM is designing the Blue Gene which will be 6 times faster than the new NEC computer. The Blue Gene seems to be a more interesting approach - instead of using thousands of very fast processors, it uses a million little CPUs. I mean little - a single chip contains several CPUs, if I read that correctly.

Yeah, well, Jack Dongarra doesn’t sound very Japanese to me…

Well, Dongarra is Japanese for Dongalla, so he must be Italian.

Is it greater computer than the Milliard Gargantubrain? or a greater analyst than the Googleplex Star Thinker? or a more fiendish disputant than then the Great Hyperlobic Omni-Cognate Neutron Wrangler?

thanks and apologies to Douglas Adams

I’m staggered that it’s not just the fastest, but 5 times faster than the closest competitor. Amazing!

scr4, I think you made mistake on your first link that was meant to be press release for the Japanese computer, it’s also a link to IBM’s Blue Gene.