Japanese people making V sign in photos

Re. the British “V” – I thought it stood for “vag,” as in “vagina,” and the person doing it is basically calling [the photographer/paparazzi/people nearby/the whole world] a buncha cunts.

Does anybody know if this rude gesture existed during WWII, when Winston Churchill often made the palm-out “V for victory” sign?

Yes, see the Wikipedia link above. Initially the very aristocratic Churchill seems to have been unaware of the established meaning of this lower class gesture. Later he modified it so that the Victory sign is given palm outwards (the rude V sign is always palm in, and usually with an upward jerk).

Your folk etymology, though tempting, seems unlikely. If it were that, why not a C sign?

[Schrute]
I never smile if I can help it… Showing one’s teeth is a submission signal in primates. When someone smiles at me, all I see is a chimpanzee begging for its life.
[/Schrute]

:stuck_out_tongue:

It’s just an imitation of the greatest man in the world. http://www.gemzies.com/img_photos/victory_sign_winston_churchill_01_01c3836850bb384d0cad826a170acdc6_490x350.png

Wow! This explains something I saw a few weeks ago when we were hanging out at the pier. An Asian looking couple—the girl dressed in what almost looked like lingerie and repeatedly posing while her boyfriend took dozens of pictures. After every few pictures, she’d take the camera and look through them to see if they met her approval. My wife and I thought it was extremely strange and wondered if she was putting together some kind of glamour portfolio.

Seconded back of hand facing others v. naughty, palm facing outwards at least in the UK is either a vaguely '60s ‘hippyish’ peace gesture, (pass the spliff man etc.) or an homage to Churchill in which case it means Victory.
Can be very touchy in some societies when visitors misunderstand hand gestures!
Peter

Oh damn that’s funny. I shall think this from now on. Also I think I’ll grab an ice cream on my way to hell.

I would prefer to not be photographed at all, so my father in law the professional photographer drives me insane:( We have monument with no people pictures:D

It did, in fact Churchill had to be corrected (apparently it was a practise more common among the working class than the potential conservative PM class).

The most popular (but still questionable) etymology is that British archers (Welsh if you ask a Welshman, English if you ask an Englishman) would often have their middle and index fingers cut off by their enemies (the English if you ask a Welshman, the French if you ask an Englishman), so the sign originated as a gesture that meant something along the lines of “haha, we still have our fingers, now kindly catch these yew sticks pointy end first”.

A famous example from a few years back- a youth pastor took a photo of one of the kids Alison Chang and put it under a Creative Commons license, Virgin Mobile used it on a bus stop ad in Australia. Her parents sued and the case was thrown out of court due to lack of jurisdiction
Imgur

There’s a name for that Japanese V sign, but I can’t remember or find it. I thought it was something like kawai, but googling it shows that just means “cute.”

AFAIK, it’s just called the “peace sign” (ピースサイン).

How is that pronounced in Japanese? I’ve definitely heard a Japanese word for it, but maybe it’s just been “peace sign” in Japanese, and I didn’t catch on.

Some people claim it originated with American skater Janet Lynn in the 1972 Olympics in Sapporo:

Somebody needs to dig up old snapshots of Japanese people, and see if flashing the peace sign suddenly became more prevalent after 1972.

“piisu sain”

No, that’s definitely not what I heard. If I can think of it, I’ll pop in again.

To add to comments on Asian photo culture:

• Pictures of food that the person is about to eat. There are one or two of my facebook friends for whom I’m pretty sure I could accurately note down their complete dietary intake for the week.
  • The V sign, “super smiley happy fun pose” thing. This is huge in Asia, not just Japan. I think in a lot of cases, it’s done ironically now.
  • Cheesy “set-up” photos - eg. a group of friends standing on stairs so it looks like they’re all different heights

Yeah, being a single white guy in Singapore, I’m friends with quite a few Asian girls on facebook…

Yes it is an Asian thing – or at least East and Southeast Asia; dunno about Turkey – but from what I can tell, it seems accepted that it’s Japanese in origin.

Not really limited to Asians. I can name probably at least 5 of my American Facebook friends (including my partner) that post pictures of food on a regular basis.

The Japanese version of wiki claims it became popular in the 80s and was due to a tv commercial with a Japanese TV personality.

I did see it in the early 80s in Japan, but I wasn’t here in the 60s. However, a quick look at pictures from the 60s didn’t uncover any peace signs.

Photos I’ve seen from the 50s and 60s tent to be fairly formal. It wouldn’t surprise me to see that the sign became popular in the late 70s.