JD Crowe and the New South bluegrass (country?) album

I usually listent to rock and blues, but often I get into a country/bluegrass mood and I always come back to this album. Just curious, I looked it up on Wiki, all it said was it was a bluegrass album by banjo player JD Crowe that Ricky Scaggs played on.

Here is another opinion., from AllMusic, in the cause of fighting ignorance-

J.D. Crowe & the New South’s eponymous debut album is one of the most influential and pioneering records in the history of bluegrass. For the first edition of the New South, Crowe assembled a stellar group of musicians – including Ricky Skaggs (fiddle, mandolin, vocals), Tony Rice (lead vocals, guitar), and Jerry Douglas (dobro) – and gave them each equal weight. … With such an eclectic selection of songs, plus the band’s trailblazing instrumental style, The New South did indeed offer a new kind of bluegrass and its impact could still be felt years after its release.

I would argue that this was the most influential bluegrass ever since Bill Monroe’s first albums and the Nittly Gritty Dirt Band’s Will the Circle be Unbroken, but not just in the (limited appeal ) of bluegrass, but country music in general.

Every time I come back to listen to this album, I am astounded by how great it is.

Here is one song, for those who don’t know the band-

Great album!

Lots of “team changes” in bluegrass. Skaggs and Douglas had their own band, Boone Creek, that released two albums before they moved on. Similar sound.

Reminds me a lot of Seldom Scene.

They’re wonderful on their own, but their album with Jonathan Edwards is just beautiful.

Fun fact: I was in a “Newgrass Band”, and I’ve always liked that label.
(We introduced ourselves as “a bluegrass band full of guys who’d rather be rocking and rolling”.)

My favorite bluegrass song.

I am going home to see my mama
She said she would meet me when I come

I think of it every time I go home for Christmas. Well, now I am going home for a while. Laid off last week, going home to Virginia for a while. Now I know in the song “home” means heaven. My home town seems like heaven to me right now.