Jeep Van?

Back in the AMC days of Jeep, there was a full size 4-door SUV called the Wagoneer/Grand Wagoneer, plus a 2-door variant called the Cherokee.

They also had a pick-up derived from the SUV called the Gladiator, I believe.

Why didn’t AMC engineer and market a full size van, to compete fully with GM, Ford and Chrysler?

It looks as if they’d thought about it. (Not AMC, but Willys/Willys-Kaiser.) I don’t know why Willys never persued the van variant of the FC-150/170, but the Forward Control trucks were not their most popular product. (Which is not to say they were unpopular – they were built from 1956-1965.)

I’d have to look it up, but IIRC AMC was in financial trouble in the 1970s and it ended up being half-owned by Renault. It coule be that they just didn’t want to spend the resources on a Jeep van. Or more likely, they knew a good thing when they had it and decided to concentrate on the CJ-5/6/7/8 and Wagoneer line.

It looks as if they’d thought about it. (Not AMC, but Willys/Willys-Kaiser.) I don’t know why Willys never persued the van variant of the FC-150/170, but the Forward Control trucks were not their most popular product. (Which is not to say they were unpopular – they were built from 1956-1965.)

I’d have to look it up, but IIRC AMC was in financial trouble in the 1970s and it ended up being half-owned by Renault. It coule be that they just didn’t want to spend the resources on a Jeep van. Or more likely, they knew a good thing when they had it and decided to concentrate on the CJ-5/6/7/8 and Wagoneer line.

Server error caused the double post.

What the heck? They even made a CORVAIR van, with a ramp on the side so you could roll your lawnmower or motorcycle into the cargo bay.

You can search ‘corvair rampside’ on google, or see the ugliest specimen I could find (flames and all):

http://www.cars-on-line.com/61corvair3188.html