Jennifer Jones, RIP

I wouldn’t have known this except that she was mentioned on a Legacy.com page with Brittany Murphy.

She won best actress for The Song of Bernadette, and could’ve won worst actress for Duel in the Sun, but they didn’t have the Razzies back then.

She was David O Selznick’s mistress during the filming of Duel in the Sun.
You gotta wonder about a guy who lets his mistress’ character as a sexpot in a movie he’s producing describe herself onscreen as, “…trash, trash, trash, trash, trash!!”

For you disaster movie buffs out there, Jennifer Jones is the woman who falls out of the glass elevator in The Towering Inferno.

(You know you’re old when you’re typing a tribute like this, and you change “…for you youngsters out there…” to “…for you disaster movie buffs out there…” because you just realized that the youngsters out there might never even heard of The Towering Inferno. Sigh.)

Jennifer Jones was 90 years old. About the same age I feel right now typing that last comment.

Darn she starred in one of my favorite movies **Portrait of Jennie **. She broke my heart in that movie.

I didn’t realize she was still alive, RIP though.

Don’t feel bad. At work the other day I made a joke referencing Close Encounters of the Third Kind in front of three early 20-somethings. One had heard of the film, but hadn’t seen it and so didn’t get my joke. The other two had never even heard of it. Edit to add, I saw it in the theater on opening day. old

What was the joke?

It wasn’t really a joke as such, just a reference. One of them was riffing about squares when I was walking by. I started to sing that singysong “In the shape of a square…” and they looked at me like I was crazy. I said…Close Encounters? (blank) The kid’s room, where all the toys start moving and the record player starts up…? (blank) You’ve seen Close Encounters right? (blank) Close Encounters of the Third Kind? Steven Spielberg? UFO’s, Devils Tower? (one guy, oh yeah, I’ve heard of that, the other two, blank) You’ve never seen it? (shakes head) and neither of you have ever heard of it? (No, no). Holy fuck I’m so old. (walks away shaking head sadly)

It’s stories like this that really make me wish Eve was still around to post her take on the person.

She kept a pretty low profile for the last 30 years. She was married to entrepreneur/art patron Norton Simon for 22 years until his death in 1993. She also served as chair of the Norton Simon Museum.

Probably her last serious brush with show business came in the late 70s when she was behind the initial effort to bring Terms of Endearment to the screen. She was to play Aurora with Diane Keaton playing her daughter. However, the project went into turnaround, sat dormant for a few years, and fell out of Jones’ hands. When it was revived, the roles were played by Shirley MacLaine and Debra Winger and it went on to win Oscars for Best Actress for MacLaine and Best Picture.

In any case, Jones had a long interesting life. However, she probably had more than most people’s share of personal difficulties and tragedies (much of which was related to mental illness). She tried to kill herself at least once. Also, her daughter was bi-polar and ended up committing suicide at age 20 in 1976.

Since this was only a few years after she played a saint, the termMadonna-whore complexsomehow comes to mind.

Wow, I had no idea she was still alive . . . or that she was so old. RIP.

It’s been my experience that most people think it’s a documentary. :smiley:

I read about Jennifer Jones last week, but didn’t post anything since I figured few people had ever heard of her. She was terrific in Bernadette, and a beautiful woman. Pretty sure I had a thing for her when that movie came out. Movie moguls sure had a thing for defiling young women, didn’t they? Was it Goldwyn or Meyer who seduced Judy Garland?

Jennifer Jones and David O. Selznick were married in 1949.

Since he was the producer, I guess he could have put a stop to it. But why should he? She was playing a role. What would he have been communicating to her if he had said, “No, we can’t have you saying those words”? It’s not as if she were trash.

Neither was Ingrid Bergman or Loretta Young.

I also loved Portrait of Jennie. My favorite role is one that I haven’t seen in a long time. I think that it is simply called Carrie, but it is based on the book Sister Carrie by Theodore Dreiser,

Yes, where she turns handsome Laurence Olivier into a broken shell of a man after he steals her from Eddie Albert because he can’t keep her in the style to which she’s become accustomed.