Jerry is a God indeed (and Tuba ain't half bad neither)

After reading the newest bandwidth announcement, I now want to have a full sex-change operation and bear Jerry’s babies.

Thanks, Jerry. Thanks, Tuba. Thanks, Ed. And thanks to the Reader.

Y’all are the greatest.
-andros-

Amen, brother.

Thank you. :smiley:

Thank you thank you thank you!

“Amen Brother”

You almost had to say “Amen Sister” :eek:

Boy this thing is fast.

Holy guacamole! I’ve never seen the boards run so fast! Muchas Gracias!

Forget Jerry–I wanna have the babies of whoever at the Reader authorized the moolah to make the upgrade. And I don’t need a sex change operation to do it, either.

ZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!

It’s a Mazda Board: ZOOM, ZOOM!

Hmmmm…I don’t want to be a downer on everyone’s happiness but I doubt there is going to be much improvement in message board speed due to yesterday’s work. What most people are seeing in the speed department is how SDMB operates under the lighter load of a weekend. Nothing has really changed except we moved IP ranges for the web servers in preparation for bringing together two T-1s that we have instead of the single T-1 that has been allocated to straightdope.com. That work will most likely continue throughout April and May.

At the end of May there will be more communications bandwidth for straightdope.com to use but unfortunately the slowness people experience at peaks times during the week is due to the processing power of the server and the over 1 GB size of the database. What do you get when you have too many people trying to use too few resources? Well, in more ancient times anthropologists would say you get WARFARE lol…but I’ll just rely on Queuing Theory which says you get long wait times. SDMB is demonstrating this quite well.

We are aware of the slow performance of the SDMB web server when it is under load. Not to dismiss everyone’s concerns about the message board slowness but if we view things in perspective last year at about this time we had a message board that crashed daily because the code did not scale well to increased utilization. The message board required about one to two hours of attention after each crash to bring it back to life. I’m actually happy to say that I’m aware of only one instance in the last year in which vBulletin crashed. I was able to fix that from home with about two hours of work. So we’ve had over 100% growth in SDMB usage since we switched from uBB to vBulletin during the last year which has brought us once again to a condition of slow. Before the move to vBulletin we had both slow and erroneous. We’re making some progress.

Jerry

Trust me. I’ve been haunting these halls a few weekends since I’ve joined. I’ve seen SLOWER! Maybe it’s a coincidence, or maybe it’s because of the Easter weekend. Whatever the reason, I’ll take it.

Well, the acid test, as always, will be Monday–Monday morning at 9 a.m., Monday at noon, Monday afternoon between 2 and 5 p.m., and Monday evening between 7 and 9.

After that, we’ll have to wait till next Friday afternoon for the true, the real, the ultimate crash test of the new server, the dull office doldrums between “I just got back from lunch” and “it’s time to go home”.

P.S. Aw, Jerry, don’t be such a spoilsport, let these simple souls have their tiny moment of happiness before the tumbrils arrive to cart them away to Slow Message Board Hell. :smiley:

Ah, bet Jerry was just spooked over the idea of Andros pregnant with his babies. He’s funny like that.

Veb

Thanks for all your hard work. I really appreciate it :slight_smile:

Zette

jdavis sed:

And that’s all I could ask for. Hell, I’m an NT admin for the gummint–I know allll about lengthy processes.

You got something to say to me, Veb, you just come out and say it. :wink:

Okay, the results from yesterday’s Monday afternoon acid test were not promising–back to “very slow”, even on the new computer with the 56K modem (the old computer with the 14400 was, as usual, timing out, “server not found”). When it’s 3 p.m. in Illinois, it’s Tuesday morning “back to work” time Down Under, isn’t it? So at the same time everybody here is fooling around during the 3 p.m. slump, everybody on the other side of the world is just checking in at work.

But, it’s still a little better than it was, so we are properly grateful for small blessings. :slight_smile:

You got that right. Today was one of the worst I’ve ever seen.

It reminds me of Disneyland on New Year’s Eve. You’re there all day long and you get to ride only two or three of the really popular rides. Today, I’ve been here since 10:30 AM PDT, and I’ve visted a grand total of ten threads, counting this one. Three times, I got the “document contains no data” notice. It took 25 minutes for one thread (“Sci-Fi Cliches” in MPSIMS) to open.

I rarely use “Preview” any more.

Don’t remind me. I’m still suffering from the flashbacks…

“Incoming–!!!”

“It’s just thunder, Rambo.”

vBulletin rules, uBB drools.

Looks like the Mazda Board is running out of gas:D

(and I’ve got DSL; I can imagine what a 14000 or 28000 modem experience can be like).

Take it from me, a 14400 modem experience is called “giving up and settling down with a good book”. :smiley:

Things are slick as a whistle between 6 a.m. and about 9 or 10 a.m. Central Time, however.

[oooh, the Flood Control screen! I hardly even recognize it!]

Er, slick as a whistle with a 56K modem