Jewish/Arab phrase question

Reading a Catholic apologetics book, the author (Karl Keating) states

Is this accurate? If so, how common is it’s usage today? And exactly how would you fit that into daily conversation?

BTW, I had to look up “calumny”. According the Mr. Webster, it is “1: a misrepresentation intended to blacken another’s reputation 2: the act of uttering false charges or misrepresentations maliciously calculated to damage another’s reputation”

I wouldn’t call it common – I never heard it.

I’ve never heard it either. Huh.

There is a Hebrew phrase - ancient, yet still in use - that translates to “permitting one’s blood”, which means that the person (usually the speaker) is no longer “sacred”, and therefore others are allowed to bleed him at will. The implication is usually that people are now allowed to libel and falsely accuse him freely. It’s generally an expression of self pity - a Republican, for instance, may say “the liberal press is permitting my blood”. That’s the closest I can think of.

Thank you. Well I’m not sure if that supports or contradicts O’Brien and Keating, at least from the Jewish standpoint. Although Alessan’s post does sound close, especially since it’s an apparently ancient phrase and I read it as though O’Brien puts the Jewish phrase in the past.

I’m curious on the Arab part though, since he clearly says it’s in use today.