Job recommendations for a University student

Thanks for the ideas everyone. Keep 'em coming :slight_smile:

I thought I should say that I probably don’t want a job that will keep me up extremely late weekdays. Money is good, but I have morning lectures. I’m not sure about tutoring either. While I went very well at Stats and Calc, I’m not sure how well I’d be able to teach it to other people.

But still, this is all gold folks. Thanks!

Telemarketing is a grouse job…the hours (at least where I work) are flexible from week to week, and your workmates will be incredibly interesting people. The folk I work with include other students, actors, retirees, mad-people and more crazies. The people on the other end of the phone are the LEAST of your worries!!

Go Telemarketing…

Whoa ! I did this job for a year at Purdue University. And the pay is typically $6/hr. Could be because 1) it’s a public univ.(technically land-grant) 2) we purportedly have the largest student access computer lab infrastructure in the US, so lots of labs and thus more employees.

In contrast, we were encouraged to study on the job. Fat chance of that happening.

Current college student checking in with ideas.

If you’ve got a career services office or job center on campus, take advantage of it. That’s how I snagged my current job of doing part-time data entry for a staffing company. The work’s all right, though tediously repetitive at times, and my coworkers are all great folks. Plus, the pay is decent. The job I had before this one I got through the same place. It was doing tech support; however, I had bad luck with getting all the abusive calls and the hours weren’t the greatest.

Before I did that, I worked on-campus in the residence halls. Unless you live in the halls or plan to next semester, you probably can’t get a Resident Assistant or similar position. However, where I go to school, each dorm has an information desk that’s staffed by students. It’s a great way to meet the cuties in the dorms. :wink:

I’ll give you a bit of caution about graveyard shifts, though. Unless you’re already adjusted to staying awake until daybreak or have a schedule that will let you get plenty of sleep during the day, you’re grades will probably falter. I was used to staying up until four or five in the morning when I worked for the dorm desks. However, sitting at the desk or doing tech support until four or eight in the morning was especially draining on me (and, boy, did my grades sick like a brick in the toilet). I don’t recommend it unless you’re classes are all in the afternoon.

Do what I did. Get a job that pays you $16 an hour to sit on your butt and watch movies all night.

Seriously. I worked at a telephone survey place (like telemarketing, but no selling) for quite a while. I weasled my way in to the computer department despite knowing next to nothing about the systems we used. My job was to babysit the computers during the night shift. I usually had about 15 minutes of actual work to do, then I screwed around the rest of the night. I got a lot of school work done there.