Jock Test at UGA

This was an actual test provided at a class at the University of Georgia.

Complete article can be found here.

Those Harricks sure do run a clean program.

What’s really twisted is that, by the course name, this is actually something that these kids could use for their future. Learning about coaching and strategy would be great for someone who might be interested in being a highschool or assistant coach somewhere. Instead of getting valuable info from a big time college assistant coach, they get a joke class, and some of them needed help passing it anyway, since they never showed at all!

I bet those Jackets are having a field day with this!

The really bizarre thing about this is that I assume he made the test laughably easy to ensure the basketball players would do well. But according to reports:

So, since they never took the test, and Harrick just gave them As anyways (which is the actual NCAA violation here, that they recieved preferential treatment) there really wasn’t any point to having the test be a joke. I don’t know, maybe he just didn’t want to spend any time creating a real test when obviously his interest in teaching the class wasn’t because he wanted to educate.

How long will it be before all those [URL=http://www.rivalfanatics.com/jokes.htm]OSU jokes** are transformed into UGA jokes?

Arrgh. :smack: OSU jokes.

Anybody remember the Jan Kemp contretemps? The more things change, the more things stay the same at UGA.

I love it. “How many halves in a game? How many quarters?”

I don’t know what the answers to the final 2 questions are, but they certainly are not “Jim Harrick, Jr.”

I’m so fucking proud of my alma mater right now. Yee-haw. Go 'Dawgs.

And this is where I plan on being next year… :rolleyes:

As long as you’re not in the basketball program, you should be okay. :wink:

Here’s what bothers me about the whole fucking thing. This is the career path taken by many secondary school administrators:

1. Go to a college or university and play football, basketball, or some other sport.

2. Fail to make the cut to the pros, and be forced to fall back on that "coaching degree" you graduated with.  Your degree has been dressed up with course names like "Kinesthesiology", but let's face it, you majored in jumping jacks.

3. Take a job as a gym teacher/coach at a high school.  You're certainly not an educator, and you kind of resent the kids anyway, so as quickly as you can become an administrator.  The pinheads on the board of education are so moist and quivery over your brush with greatness in college that you rapidly progress to a position where you can do some real damage by virtue of your ignorance in every field that doesn't have a goal at the end.

4. Spend the rest of your career fucking up the education of those students in your charge.

What I know about basketball (or sports in general, for that matter) could be stuffed into a flea’s navel with room to spare. Just for laughs, I took the test. I got fourteen of the multiple choice questions right; five of those were educated guesses (i.e., Georgia in in the Southeastern US, and I assumed SEC stood for South Eastern Conference). Of the ones I got wrong, I would assume that anyone who attends UoG or follows college basketball at all would know things like what color the uniforms are and how long a game lasts.

It’s stories like this that provide more ammunition for those who think college athletes are pampered and college sports programs are overfunded.

And this would explain why I never passed high school algebra and had pinhead fundies teaching health.

sigh

Robin

As you can tell by my handle, I’m a huge fan of a certain university’s (not UGA) basketball team - and by extension, a huge fan of college basketball itself. As I write this, my team is about 8 1/2 hrs. away from taking on its biggest rival, and I’m already working myself into a (admittedly juvenile) tizzy about the game.

However, after reading stories like this, or about kids who go to school for four years yet don’t know how to read, or how hookers are used to lure recruits, or how tutors write papers for student-athletes (please don’t smirk at THAT term), or gambling scandals, etc., the more I realize that to be a fan of college basketball (or football), you really have to approach the sport like a moviegoer approaches a film:

You have to suspend your disbelief.

And jackelope, I understand your dismay, but trust me, this kind of shit goes on in SO MANY OTHER PLACES than just UGA. UGA just got caught. Yes, some schools/programs are worse than others, but if you want purity with your college sports, watch the Patriot League, or watch Division II.

The preferential treatment athletes get at some schools disgusts me. I’m so glad I went to a division III school. I had to give up having the college experience of big football and basketball games, but I got to meet some real student-athletes who managed to keep up with a busy schedule and rigorous academics. None of them may have gone onto the pros but with many ending up in PhD programs, law school, or med school I say that they didn’t do too badly.

Plus UGA sucks in general.

I read the test before I read the article. It doesn’t surprise me in the least that there are NCAA violations as I went to KU for four years.

That said, I thought the test was funny. My trigonometry teacher in high school had a deal with his class. If everyone got over a certain grade (A- I think) we would have a fake final. We all studied hard and helped the slower ones (ironically the basketball players) and got that grade.

We had questions like: Write your name in all caps.
What is my name?
What is our mascot?
In what state do we live?

It was fun and a nice payoff for all of our hard work. Could this have been the situation or is it pretty much definite that he passed his students just to pass them?

No it doesn’t and I have a cite.

Says right here on my UGA button…

IF YOU AIN’T A BULLDOG, YOU AIN’T SHIT!

:cool: