John McCain diagnosed with glioblastoma brain tumor

All I have to say about McCain is that he’s the only living Republican politician who actually seems to give a shit about America and its people. I wish him well.

Regardless of his politics, most of which I disagree with vehemently, I’ve always considered him a good, honorable man who loves his country. This news makes me sad.

Here is a collection of well wishes from both sides of the aisle.

That’s what my oldest childhood friend died of. My son is named for him.

I was thinking about this all day. On the one hand, cancer sucks, and brain cancer must be particularly egregious as it can affect your cognitive abilities. On the other hand, he’s 80 years old, and when you’ve had that long a run, be grateful you survived this long in relatively good health, and you have to accept that something is more and more likely to bring you down with every month that passes. One day something will cause your end, and this is his.

But on top of that, he’s a horribly unpleasant little man, so I don’t really have a lot of sympathy for him.

He’s good at pretending to be a moderate, but in the end he usually votes as a hard-right Republican. Maybe he will be replaced by someone with more compassionate for other people?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I expected something like “I prefer senators who * don’t * get brain cancer.”

Good luck Senator McCain!

This may be cold, but this seems to help the anti-repeal cause. Before, Republicans could lose two defections and a 50-50 vote is a win. Now, two defections results in a 50-49 loss.

If I was him, I’d retire and enjoy the remainder of my days. In the event of his death or retirement, what is the law in AZ for filling the vacancy?

The Governor appoints someone, who serves until there is a state-wide general election, which would be in 2018. Whoever wins that election then serves out the rest of McCain’s term. Must be someone from the same party as the incumbent, so in the event of a vacancy, it probably wouldn’t affect the balance too much - quick appointment by the Governor and there’s still 52 senators. Real issue would be who wins the general election to fill out the term from 2018 to 2022, when McCain’s term expires.

How Would John McCain’s Replacement be Chosen?

Filling Vacancies in the Office of United States Senator

I’m so sorry to hear this news. He always seemed like a good man to me, standing up for what he believed in. I wish him and his family all the best as they go through this.

I am truly sorry to hear this news about Sen. McCain. While I never agreed with him politically, he struck me as a man who was in politics for the right reasons - strongly- held convictions and a deep love of country.

Usually. I don’t think he “believed in” Trump, but he endorsed him (for awhile)

I do have respect for the man generally, however, and am sorry to hear he going through this.

By saying that nice thing about McCain we all know he actually does mean “Fuck off and die loser.”

Correct, no reason to start taking Trump’s words literally.

Cite?

I did the same thing.

This is sad but there is hope. 10% of patients with this condition live 5 years or longer, the average span for the rest being around 18 months. If anyone can beat the odds McCain can.

The guy has a great sense of humor. After his defeat by Obama in 2008 he was asked how he coped. He said, “After I lost, my friends, I slept like a baby — sleep two hours, wake up and cry.” :slight_smile:

That’s pretty much standard in the corporate world.

My BIL passed on from this. Four months from discovery to making my sister a widow.

And a dear friend of mine is also fighting this battle. Successful surgery, and still a 5-year window. If her doctors are right, she’ll be dead before she hits 40.

Sorry. Didn’t mean to make this about me. Best of luck to McCain, our fellow Doper, and anyone else fighting this battle.