John Oliver on Mike Pence (YouTube video)

Jesus Is With Him; therefore, all lies are for the Greater Glory of God and All Will Be Forgiven At The Pearly Gates.

If you don’t know many evangelicals you may not be aware, but this is a common mentality among fundamentalist Christians (former Attorney General John Ashcroft being a notable example); it is fine to be shitty and non-Christian to people as long as they aren’t God’s People. They’re not going to be Raptured bodily to Heaven and spend Eternity with you so they don’t matter, especially the *****s, ***s, ******s, *****s, ****s, and ********s. Rapture Heaven is all pound cake and church basement bingo, all the time!

Stranger

He wasn’t born in the U.S. so it hops over him.

If his true views about gay people are as hateful as his rhetoric, then he’d be pissed off by anything that helps gay people and portrays them in a positive light. But I don’t know if Pence is truly hateful, or just says very hateful things about gay people because he thinks it helps him politically.

I’ve mentioned this before but you forgot the ringside seats so they can look down on the rest of us burning in hell forever and laugh.

Has anyone read either book? Are either of them any good? Are they suitable for children? (I loved Go the F**k to Sleep, but would not recommend it for children.)

Does Amazon have a + offer for buying both books together?

I bought the John Oliver book, but it’s on backorder so I didn’t get it right away.

I got the audio book from Audible for $2 and it was cute. Suitable for children, yes. It’s not an adult book masquerading as a kids book like that “Go the fuck to sleep” book was. It’s a legit kids book about two boy bunnies falling in love, their desire to be married, an angry stink bug who says “no”, celebrating differences and weirdness, voting out the angry stink bug, and having a gay bunny wedding.

The combination options are A Higher Loyalty: Truth, Lies, and Leadership by James Comey Hardcover and Russian Roulette: The Inside Story of Putin’s War on America and the Election of Donald Trump by Michael Isikoff. I fear the Isikoff tome might be a snoozer for kids but the Comey book should be a laugh riot. Regardless, A Day in the Life of Marlon Bundo is an actual childrens book, suitable formanyone who isn’t planning to go to Fundie Christian Hypocrite Heaven with Pence and his bevy of apologists for the racist, philandering, cheating, lying, slandering, self-admitted serial sexual assaulter Donald Trump.

The one star reviews are a riot! (They’re largely, if not all, satirical criticisms of the book.)

Stranger

(post shortened)

John Oliver is your usual entertainer-type who is paid to play the part of another angry man on a talkshow. His bitterness and frustration over the fact that more people refuse to think like him, is obvious in most of his tirade videos. Some people like angry-man humor. I consider Oliver to be a political hack who fulfills his employers biased expectations. Neither entertaining, or humorous. Just angry. Yawn.

Should people buy books? People should buy as many books as they can afford. Should people buy books based on an angry man character? That’s up to the buyer.

doorhinge is your usual disaffected-type who is not paid to play the part of another angry man on a messageboard. His bitterness and frustration over the fact that more people refuse to think like him is obvious in most of his tirade posts. Some people like angry-man humor. I consider doorhinge to be a political hack who fulfills his own biased expectations. Neither entertaining, or humorous. Just angry. Yawn.

Should people read his posts? People should read as many posts as they can afford time for. Should people read posts based on an angry man character? That’s up to the reader.

Stranger

Even if true, Pence is well past the point where that’s a distinction without a difference.

[Moderating]

Stranger on a Train, this isn’t the Pit. This is a Warning for personal insults.

The geeks, sluts, bloods, waistoids, dweebies, and dickheads?

We laugh lest we cry.

Too bad for doorhinge that John Oliver is so popular, as his TV show, that the book manages to outsell the Veep.

I understood doorhinge was a she, btw…was I wrong?

So you’re 100% convinced, then, that his bitterness and frustration arises out of the fact more people refuse to think like him, as opposed to the fact that he’s just simply incredulous with disgust at Pence and the many other reprehensible subjects that he casts light on?
So this is just recreational outrage for him, and is doing this only because he’s “paid to play the part of another angry man”?

The rabbit is after Jimmy Carter.

Ba-boom ching!

Yes, it’s not like this administration is one to overreact to even the most trivial slights with a series of progressively more aggressive and incoherent pronouncements and occasional attempts to use the power of the Executive branch to silence their critics ha ha ha HA HA HA HA HA HA

As the last election demonstrated.

I dunno - I thought Jim Parsons’ narration was stilted and awkward (and I say that as someone who likes TBBT).

The bit that concerned me about that segment was Omarosa’s implication that Pence doesn’t just hold Christian beliefs but actively thinks Jesus is telling him what to do (although hopefully not in a “voices in his head” kind of way). As noted already, such people can justify the most horrific behaviors in the belief that it’s what God wants (despite - and this is my new phrase of the week - “Jesus ain’t say that”).

I mean, I know next to nothing about Omarosa or what she actually did at the White House but she strongly suggested that Pence is seriously cray-cray on a level previously unsuspected. If there’s any truth to that, we really ought to be worried.

Sitting here in Indiana, the feeling around here is that Pence really DOES hate gays (and a few other categories) and any moderation of that view is the political expediency, not the other way around. He’s the sort who will fuck you over and then say with a benevolent smile that it’s for your own good, dear, bless your heart.

So…Mike Pence is Dolores Umbridge? Actually, that would explain a lot.