Joint Supplements for dogs; Woo or Works?

Two of my large dogs are starting to show their ages (8 and 9, respectfully) and I’m thinking of putting them on something to help with what appears to be joint trouble (getting on/off things slower/painfully, not running as much as they used to, etc). Both are at or over 60lbs and both are mixed breed rescue dogs.

I just don’t want to spend $$$ on a scam/Woo. At my local PetSmart their is a whole aisle of the stuff; pills, powders, liquids, you name it they have it. Most is expensive and alot of them appear to not have very many pills per bottle (less than 100).

So, has anyone had luck with these supplements?

I dunno, call me skeptical but I figure anything labeled a supplement is hoohah. There’s little to no oversight or regulation on the human side of them, let alone the pet. I’d advise asking you vet what they suggest to get a better idea of what will work for your dogs specifically.

I’ve fed them to my various aging dogs for many years.
My wife thinks that why performed miracles on our ancient Golden rescue, but I think it was as much our general TLC that helped her.
Still, they don’t seem to hurt, and might have a positive effect.

I currently use Trader Joe’s brand.

Anything can be called a “supplement”. The term is meaningless.

My favorite is powdered shark cartilage, promoted for joint health.
As if the powder is going to re-constitute itself and then go looking for joints into which to insert itself. That takes the definition of “woo” to a whole new level.

Glucosamine Chondroitin is also sold as a supplement, but it has some credible endorsements.

Limit your research to the specific chemical/ingredient under consideration.

I think it’s helping my dogs. With one AmStaff/German Shepherd (yay! hip issues) and a Shar Pei/pit bull mix with knee problems, we went to supplements about a year and a half ago. After assessing the cost of chews and tablets, we went with Cosequin. Same stuff as in the expensive chews, but at a seriously reduced cost. Half teaspoon each mixed in a little cottage cheese is the accurate dose for my 60-ish pound dogs. After 18 mos, we still have half the container.

For what it’s worth, my vet recommended Cosequin for our cat, which had arthritic joint problems. Damned if I know if it helped (would have needed a duplicate control kitty to tell,) but he’s a pretty knowledgeable guy, and thought it was worth trying.

Agreed, my vet recommended it for our dog years ago after a surgery and it seems to be working well for her.

My golden took Cosequin. I felt that it helped her.

I’ve used Cosequin for several of my dogs currently and in the past. They’ve all shown improvement in mobility. They didn’t know they were getting anything special so I discount the placebo effect.

I don’t know what it is my mom gives her dog. But every day around 6 o’clock, if my mom forgets to give the dog his pill, he will go over to the cabinet where the pills are kept and start making whining noises until my mom gives him his pill.
So, infer from that what you wish.

I’ve seen a noticeable difference in my 11-year old English Setter in the 12 weeks since I began giving him the supplements. He had been having stiffness in his hind legs and having some issues using the dog door when it got cold outside. Now he’s out running in the yard and flying through the dog door like the young buck he once was. It can’t be the placebo effect because he has no idea the ‘treat’ he gets every morning isn’t dog candy.

Which supplements?

I’ve read some of the papers looking at various joint supplements used in dogs and horses. Because signs of degenerative joint disease tends to wax and wane, it is difficult to evaluate effect.

Several papers show improvement with Cosequin/Adequan, but the effect size tends to be small.

From what I’ve read, weight management, moderate activity, and genetics are key factors for joint health in the dog.

I give my older dog (13 years) Chondroflexthat I get from amazon. He had an episode about a year ago where he just sat down while we were walking and he couldn’t get up. He couldn’t stand even if I lifted his back end. He spent a week at the vet on complete cage rest. Now every other week he gets an Adequanshot in his hip (alternating visits on different sides), and once a month the vet does acupuncture on his back legs. I have seen VAST improvement. We still don’t take long walks, but when it’s time for a walk, he dances and prances over to me. He’s old. He will continue to decline, but I’m very satisfied with the results of the treatments.

The vet put my dog on Vetri Disc after an episode where he was having trouble standing. He’s back to normal now, but we did several things, in addition to the supplements, so I can’t credit any one thing.

What other things did y’all do? Is your dog [ahem] elderly?

He’s ten years old (with a life expectancy of about fifteen). He was crated for several days and the vet gave him a prescription for Previcox (anti-inflammatory). He was about five pounds overweight, and he was put on a strict diet to take that off, and I had to get him a raised food and water dish.

Did any of the pills you guys used cause GI upset? I have one dog that has a really sensitive stomach and I’ll need something that won’t make him puke it back up.

My parents got this product for their 12 year old dog, and it was immediately noticeable that something had changed. When I went home and saw the dog wasn’t limping and could walk better I asked if they put something in her diet and they told me they started giving her that powder.

The VetriDisc hasn’t caused any issues in my dog, who also has a sensitive stomach.