Jokes you didn't get as a kid, but do now...

Actually, there’s a clean version of the Nantucket limerick. It goes like this:

There once was a man from Nantucket,
Who kept all his cash in a bucket.
His daughter named Nan
Ran off with a man
And as for the bucket, Nantucket.

Awful pun, but suitable for mixed company (except for the severely humor-impaired).

The Cat In The Hat

The Nantucket/bucket version dates back to at least 1924, with this second stanza:

But he followed the pair to Pawtucket,
The man and the girl with the bucket;
And he said to the man,
He was welcome to Nan,
But as for the bucket, Pawtucket.

This continues, ad nauseum for many stanzas; in it’s entirety:

Nantucket/bucket limerick

TT

“Believe those who seek the truth.
Doubt those who find it.” --Andre Gide

Just for closure:

(“Hands up! We’re taking this thread to Nantucket!”)

He followed the pair to Pawtucket.
Nan and the man and the bucket.
He said to the man
You’re welcome to Nan.
But as for the bucket, Pawtucket.

I thought there was only one more (Manhasset), but apparently there are a zillion: http://www.nantucket.net/YI/limerick/

“The departure of the church-going element had induced a more humanitarian atmosphere.”
Dorothy L. Sayers
Clouds of Witness

Thufferin –

GMTA!

Anybody remember how the “Young Lady from Exeter” limerick from the movie Magic Christian went? I remember not getting it as a kid, but giggling a lot anyway just because I knew it was dirty.

You can find anything] on the internet:

Expect a simultaneous post from ThufferinThuccotash!

Well, mine’s not dirty, but I guess it still counts. I remember watching Rocky & Bullwinkle growing up and not getting a lot of the stuff. One in particular was a reference to the “Ruby Yacht Of Omar Khayyam” (they had this little model boat covered in red jewels). Of course it’s a play on the famous book “Rubaiyat Of Omar Khayyam”, but how in the hell is a 7 year-old supposed to know that? Brilliant, that show.

If memory serves, there was also a ROcky and Bullwinkle gag in which they went to a junkyard called “Oedipus Wrecks.” Oh, man…thanks to Tom Lerher I got that even as a child.

I was driving with my brother once when we were teens and the Kinks’ song Lola started playing on the radio. He was singing along to the chorus and I asked him if he had ever really listened to all the words. He did so and I still remember the look on his face as he figured out what the song was about.

The folks saying that they were wrestling.

It was just a few years ago that I realized Boris Badenov’s all-purpose expression of alarm or annoyance, “Raskolnikov!” was the name of the guy in Crime and Punishment.

It seem to me the Three Stooges shorts were littered with jokes and references that went right over my head as a kid. Larry: “I can’t die yet - I haven’t seen The Jolson Story!”

Bluecher!

Ah, who could forget this one line and how it made such a look of scorn and laughter appear?

“There once was a man from Nantucket,”

Who’s dick was so big he could suck it,
He said with a grin,
As he was wiping his chin,
If my asshole was a pussy I could fuck it!

In fourth grade I was walking back from the school library with some chums. For some reason they couldn’t stop snickering at my book selection: “World’s Funniest Boners.” Thankfully one of my friends (I think it was Beavis) ended my ignorance on the subject. Does anyone use the term “Boner” to mean a screwup anymore?

“Stop the rope and let me in or I’ll go out and get some gin”