So I have a mild case of food poisoning. One bout of vomiting, some hershey squirts, but nothing too severe. The only things I’ve ingested today are a small bottle of Coke, 2 liters of water, and coffee. I usually drink it black, but decided to put three single-serving french-vanilla flavored creamers in it today. I noticed a little bit of curdling, but in my dumbassery, I drank it anyway.
So I called work (c-store) and told the guy there what happened, and told him to take the creamers off the counter so nobody gets sick. “OK, let me check,” he says, which really isn’t an answer. Gets back on the line, and says, “They’re good until May 2012!” I reiterate that I think they made me sick, and he should pull them off the counter. “Well, I don’t know…” hemming and hawing.
Dude, I am your assistant manager. Just fucking do it, man! Jesus christ!
You’re not going to see issues from food borne illnesses that quickly. Your issues did not come from the creamer. Also, as an assistant manager you should call your actual, for real manager before either pulling or instructing others to pull product from the shelves. Really, just do it.
You said you had the creamer today. I also thought it took longer (like a day) for symptoms to set in.
Also you made it sound like it was a huge deal that these creamers be yanked. If you’re really worried about a product giving customers food poisoning, it seems like a pretty good reason to tell the manager about.
Well, it’s fairly important, in case they were what made me sick. And that’s just not something I need to tell my boss right now. She’ll find out when she gets there and sees them bagged up tomorrow morning.
I had EXTREME food poisoning for days (as in, and this is a Stephen King quote, “Didn’t know what end it was going to come out of”) about, hmmm…7 hours after eating a chicken sandwich at a Denny’s that was being remodeled. Lasted for days. The only thing I can figure is that someone unplugged a freezer or something to paint and the chicken went bad maybe.
There are any number of things that could give you your symptoms other than food poisoning. Indeed I would have thought creamer (which is a dried powder) is very unlikely to go off and give you food poisoning. I doubt it was the problem.
I once ate a breakfast sandwich and coffee from Burger King. A few hours later I was violently sick. I had someone call BK and they immediately said it was probably the creamer for the coffee. Well, I drank mine black.
After a few similar situations I wound up in the hospital needing emergency gallbladder surgery. It was the fat in the breakfast sandwich.