Just feeding back that virtually everything is awful

That gave us the quote, but now arrow, which IMO, is fine because we know who it’s directed at.

I never really noticed that before. I tried it, but now what? Does it just add the little icon or is there something I’m not seeing to actively track these back down? If I have to scroll through the thread to find them, they’re not really helping much.
What would be helpful is if bookmarking posts also left, for example, tick marks on the slider bar so I could jump back to those posts.

ETA, I see it leave a bookmark icon next to the thread title in the list of threads, but clicking on that just starts me at the top of the thread.

But you’re not supposed to click the bookmark, right? You didn’t click the little indicator on vBulletin to open a thread, you just opened it normally. Opening a thread in discourse normally should return you to the last post you read. It’s actually quite good about that; much better than vBulletin ever dreamed of being.

I usually have a “back” button show up at the bottom of the slider when I do that. Click on the back button, and I’m right back where I was.

Too late, if I understand you correctly – you’re no longer the post immediately preceding.

Why in all these years didn’t I think of that?

Maybe because while it’ll work when I only want to quote one portion, it fairly often happens that I want to quote, say, paragraph 1 and paragraph 5 out of 8; and the clipboard will only hold one at a time.

I guess for me that’s just become sort of automatic.

If you mean what I think you mean – that arrow at the top of the post which takes you to the post being quoted – I see it on the post of yours I’m now replying to, and it takes me to Joey_P’s post.

Those arrows do seem to me to be a little erratic, both as to whether they’re there and as to whether they work.

I was trying to figure out how to utilize the bookmarks. If I have to scroll through dozens or hundreds of posts to find something I marked, it’s not a whole lot of use. I was looking to see if there was some way to jump directly to it.

You have to manually select each quote on discourse, too, though, right?

I usually do to. I’m sure the appearance of the ‘back’ button is internally consistent, but from my POV, sometimes it’s there, sometimes it’s not. It’s nice to have, but it’s hardly a reliable way to scroll around a thread and return to the same spot.

That’s another thing I’ve noticed. I’m not sure if there’s a reason for this or it’s just a bug, but it seems that lately, the little arrow (the one within the actual quote, not the ‘this is a reply to _____’ at the top of the post itself) doesn’t work as well. ISTR that you could click it and it would expand the quote to show you the entire post and click it again and it would send you to the actual post, but now the second part doesn’t always work.

You have to

manually select each

quote on discourse, too, though, right?
Sometimes it’s easier to just do the quotes by hand (like we did earlier on in vB, but even that has it’s quirks.

(and, yes, that was on purpose, as a demonstration of one of it’s quirks).

Yes; but I don’t have to scroll back and forth between reply window and wherever the post went to when I opened a reply window. Which sometimes is a distance back and not even on the same page.

I’ll try that trick next time I’m dealing with vBulletin, though. Should speed things up at least a little.

Now that’s a legitimate improvement under discourse. Just the way it handles the contents of the reply box in general is leaps and bounds superior to vBulletin, 100%.

For your specific example, generally I would do it with two tabs: One tab for the reply, one tab for the thread where I’m grabbing quotes from. You’re right that discourse lets you do this without tabs. That is a nice improvement.

Sorry, once you have a bookmark, you can access it by clicking on the user icon in the upper right corner and then the bookmark icon.

For instance, this is one of my bookmarks:

Political commentary is fine in GD, but not in GQ/FQ.

That usually works right, but Discourse also seems to have a habit of telling me that a thread has three new replies since my last visit, with the last post being by me.

As to the performance issues I have, yes, it’s entirely because my computer is inadequate for Discourse. But the thing is, it shouldn’t be. My computer still works fine for all of the many and varied Google apps, and for YouTube, and for Zoom, and all of the other web apps I encounter, most of which have content which is much more complicated than Discourse. @codinghorror 's answer to that is basically “Well I don’t want you using my site then”. Which is, let’s face it, a lousy answer.

My 8 year old laptop works fine with the board and my 8 year old PC does also. My new PC is crazy quick for pretty much anything. I love SSD.

I’m not sure how old your computer is, but I wonder if it a browser/plug-in/anti-virus issue. According to task manager Zoom is more processor and memory intensive than Discourse on near vanilla Chrome, so something about your browser could well be the issue.

I mean, I don’t know how old your computer is. I consider my hardware pretty old. My laptop is about 10 years old and my phone is about 6 years old.

I’ll admit, that happens to me every once in awhile too.

With the bookmark I was playing with, the notification about a new post to this thread was the same as a PM notification.

This was my standard too, until the board glitched and you hit new posts accidentally twice and the new posts list came back empty.

There are a lot fewer annoying, too-fast, content-free gifs than I had expected, but there aren’t zero. Ideally gifs would have a button you’d have to click before they start like they do on some other sites. It’s especially annoying when I want to read the post before or after the jumping monkey who is there for no reason. But thankfully it is not as bad as it could be.

That is down to the culture of the board, IMHO. It’s not a habit the veterans have gotten into. So it’s usually used in restraint.