Just feeding back that virtually everything is awful

And obnoxious GIFs get broken by the staff.

True. A more actively enforced aspect of the culture, when restraint fails.

I am really curious what “features” people are missing.

Like: what specific result was more convenient to achieve in vB.

@Chronos - what browser are you using? On what OS? For me the SDMB is loading near instantly since discourse and others report the same. I really think something is wrong at your end. (Browser/plug-in/malware)

I’m using whatever the latest version of Firefox is, on OSX 10.13.6 . And what’s wrong at my end is that it’s an old computer. We’ve already established that. Everything else on the Web can tolerate that, but @codinghorror considers it to be entirely the user’s fault and doesn’t see it as a problem.

That said, the most recent update did speed things up considerably, presumably due to one of the miscellaneous “bug fixes”. In other words, yes, the intolerance of my old machine apparently really was due to a bug in Discourse, that took this long to fix. But, hey, it’s fixed now, so I’ll stop complaining.

I’m missing a browser history not cluttered with 57,000 entries for the same thread.

Me too, except it’s 10.13.4 and claims no updates; I’d have to jump to at least the next one entirely.

And I’m not having, and haven’t been having, your problems. Computer is a Mac Mini late 2014. How old is yours?

Ok, that might be inconvenient if you have to find anything else, but how does that negatively influence your experience here? Do you use your history to navigate this site?

I don’t not use my history to navigate this site.

Ok, I never considered that a problem. I never ever use my browser history to navigate inside a site. I tend to use it to find sites I should have bookmarked or to restore tabs I closed.

And a huge amount of what’s in my history is large numbers of copies of the same Discourse topic; with the result that it’s really hard to find anything else.

Yeah, I mean, that’s a sweet feature of modern browsers that discourse seriously messes with.

I haven’t noticed Discourse interfering with my ability to reopen closed tabs.

Me either (using latest version of Edge on Win11).

I haven’t had any issues with that (on firefox) either. I don’t think I’ve even heard that complaint yet.

I’ll try it again to check. I haven’t read the dope on the computer in a while.

Yes, that was what I was complaining about. An idiotic design flaw on a single web site I use fouls up my entire browser history.

Here’s some of the options in vBulletin Advanced Search:

Here’s the Discourse equivalent:

a) I can’t return individual posts that contain “Afghanistan”. I have to wade through each thread that contains “Afghanistan”

b) I can’t sort them in ascending order. So knowing the earliest date that something could have been posted isn’t terribly helpful, because I have to wade BACK to that date instead of starting from it.

Mind you, I never in my wildest dreams thought I’d be praising vBulletin’s search capabilities. It’s just that the ones available under Discourse are even worse.

You can sort them. In your picture, just below where it says “Filter by post count and topic views” (cropped off in your picture) there’s a drop down box giving you different sort options.

You were tweaking searches in vB?

I was hoping it would allow me 1, mostly it crapped out and then I had to wait 5 mins before I could try again.

Let me rephrase:

I call bullshit on you using “advanced” features in vB search. It.didn’t.work.at.all. Everybody used Google to search the SMDB.