Just had my first short story accepted!

So happy right now, and just wanted to share… I’ve written four fantasy and sci-fi short stories (as well as a couple of self-published novels that I’ve posted about here), and I’ve been submitting the short stories to various publications for the last year or so, and I finally got one accepted! The relatively new sci-fi webzine Solarpunk Press has accepted my short story titled “Untethered”, which will be published as their August short story.

Solarpunk is a subgenre of sci-fi that I hadn’t even heard of before submitting to this webzine, and they describe it as “near future science fiction that deals seriously with the major environmental and social problems of the 21st century, and approaches them with optimism”. My story is far future, not near future, but does deal heavily with themes of action and responsibility with regard to ecology and environment, and I guess they decided it was close enough to fit.

It’s a semi-pro magazine, meaning that they pay approximately half the rate per word of those markets considered professional, but it’s a start! Now I can include this as a publishing credit with every submission I make from now on. Writing career, here I come!

Congrats!

I’ve been using a web tool called The Submission Grinder to find places to submit stories. You might find it useful too…

http://thegrinder.diabolicalplots.com/Search/ByFilter

Congratulations!

Great news–felicitations!

Thanks folks!

And thanks for this, I’ll try it out. I’ve been using this list.

Congratulations. :slight_smile:

That’s awesome, iiandyiiii!
Congrats, and keep going!

Yay! Happy noises and skipping and jumping! Huzzah!

How do we get copies? I mean, how does the magazine work? I looked at their site and am still confused. Do we have to subscribe, or do they sell single issues? (I’m presuming web/ e-copies, which is cool.)

Gotta get a copy!

Thanks to everyone again!

I think it’s free – they might print collections occasionally (though I’m not exactly sure), but the regular issues are free on their website, I believe.

Congratulations from this corner, too.

Do you know of this Facebook group: OPEN CALL: SCIENCE FICTION, FANTASY & PULP MARKETS? They list new markets almost daily.

Awesome congrats!

Thanks again to everyone!

Thanks – I just joined.

Congratulations! May there be many more.

Thank you! Got three other short stories in submission to various magazines, so fingers crossed!

Fantastic!! Best wishes for future writing efforts. I hope you remember us when you’re rich and famous!

Untethered, huh. Is that sort of a 50 Shades of Grey set in the future? :slight_smile:

Thanks so much!

As for the title, when it’s published, read the story and find out. :slight_smile:

Congrats,** iiandyiiii**. May it be the first of many.

How long did it take you to come up with that particular story - idea to final cut?

Thank you!

As for how long it took: not long – maybe 3 or 4 weeks, and roughly the same for my other short stories.

I’ve been nursing an idea for a story (fiction) for 3 years now. Just can’t seem to get it down on paper (as it were). I envy your ability to work so quickly.

Resurrect this thread when it’s published to remind us; I look forward to reading it.

Thank you. My rule is that every day I have to write something – even just a sentence. But usually I can get a few hundred words out. Even if it’s just a few sentences every day, it adds up, and short stories don’t have to be long.

I definitely will!