Just like reality? [Race, crime, and home security commercials]

Now, you are deliberately being disingenious. It is my belief that the media is distorting reality by intentionally under representing the minority criminal element, and instead, using the over representation of crime committed by white criminals to make a political statement.

Really?? Crime statistics clearly show that, as a percentage of the population, minorities commit crime at a higher rate than whites. So, where’s the “bullshit”, Mr. “moderator”.

I have a feeling both “sides” are right. In reality, most burglars are white*, and the ad agency specifically selected white actors instead of black actors in order to prevent complaints.

The ad agency’s job isn’t to reflect reality, or make a political statement, it’s to sell product. If using a black actor as the burglar would sell more product, they’d do it. Hell, if having a black burglar break in to steal fried chicken and watermelon would sell more product, they’d do that too.

*regardless of how many burglars there are as a % of the race’s population, there are more white burglars than black burglars.

I was anticipating your argument.

Gee whiz, that sounds an awful lot like what I said about the “liberal media.” Why the umbrage? In any case, it’s nonsense: as Cheesesteak said, the job of an ad agency is to sell products. That rarely intersects with politics. It probably is true that the ad agency was sensitive to accusations of racism in the form of perpetuating stereotypes, and chose to cast white actors for that reason. That’s mostly just good sense on their part. Regardless, yes, it does reflect reality.

Yes.

So? They’re significantly outnumbered by white people, and if we pick a house at random - nevermind any details on any regions Brinks [fixed name] might be targeting - if there’s a robbery, it’s most likely to be committed by a white person.

You’ve posted six times in this thread, so I’d direct your attention to those.

Can you tell us what political statement the media are making?

Also, nothing in this thread has anything to do with the media. So far you’ve only mentioned a commercial and a public service announcement.

What’s inaccurate about the commercial is the immediate, concerned call from the company. My mom has an alarm system, and the times we’ve set it off by accident often do not result in any call at all.

Don’t you ever watch CSI? Everyone knows psychos generally target people they consider to be the same race as themselves.
Rule #1 of the (shaky) science of Criminal Profiling.
I would expect African American males to be prime suspects in the abduction of African American females.

Hee hee
I’d never really thought about it, but it’s so true. There’s certain demographics you can’t make fun of in that way.
The intersection of these groups – a black woman – is always particularly streetwise and sassy, and can certainly never be a dufus. :slight_smile:

I agree with Paleface (swallows tongue).

It’s been ages since I’ve seen an advertisement that a woman didn’t come out better then the man intellectually and physically.

It’s starting to get a little irksome to see every guy always being an idiot.

I don’t agree with Paleface in any way except one:

I’m completely sure we would never, ever see a black man breaking into a white man’s home in a TV commercial these days. That is true. We wouldn’t see a man strike a woman, either, though that happens all the time too. Do you think that’s also because of some kind of “PC” conspiracy of silence? Is it possible that some images just carry too much complicated cultural baggage to be used in any context to sell products?

And why is it that certain privileged people are often the first to say “life isn’t fair, suck it up” to those who struggle and suffer in life, yet can’t handle even the slightest symbolic nose-thumbing in their direction?

It’s always:

Child is smarter and trumps adult.
Woman trumps male,
Minority trumps white,
Minority female child trumps God,
White male is totally fucked on this advertising scale.

White male accepts this because he is filthy rich and lives in a huge mansion with slaves and harem girls. Oh, c’mon fellow white guys, you know we all do.

What ? Get with the times, man. It’s all sex droids these days.

(I’m ignoring this niggling (ha) racist feeling in my gut - I must be wrong, so I’ll just discuss the commercial)
What gets me about the commercial is that the caller asks if the person answering the phone is okay, without any verifying coding to be sure they’re not speaking to the intruder.

The person answering the phone is a woman. OF COURSE she’s not the intruder. The security company instinctively knows that. Doesn’t everyone?

There’s a commercial airing all over the place these days where a woman has started holding “arctic Monday” in her office, which involves turning the heat way down. Even though all the men know that it’s being done to save money, the woman keeps moronically insisting that she’s doing it for fun. That’s a pretty clear example where the woman is dumber than all the men.

Out of curiosity, do you just agree with Paleface about there being a bias against whites and men, or do you also agree with him that it’s a political statement. If the later, could you tell us what the political statement is? (Since Paleface evidently won’t.)

I would totally buy whatever that commercial was selling. :smiley:

“I want my fried chicken and watermelons SECURE!”

Valete,
Vox Imperatoris

I’m surprised that you can’t figure this out for yourself. It’s quite evident that the political statement being made is a statement of political correctness. As Mijin pointed out, in real life, African American males would be the prime suspects in the abduction of adolescent African American girls, but yet, a national PSA chose to go against reality and and use a caucasian male as their suspect.

I find it interesting that just by making that particular point, a degree of anger has been generated.

Why??

Well, in what ways do you disagree?

Because when someone chooses a name like Paleface and starts posting on racial issues the general suspicion of most people is that he or she is a racist. Most posters are looking for your racial agenda to come out I expect.

Well, I agree that we don’t often see the man strike the woman, but we often see women portrayed as the victims of domestic violence to the degree that this is also counter to reality.

Men are over represented as the perpetrators of domestic violence, while women are under represented.

As a prime example, a few years ago there was another PSA (again with the public service announcements) warning women of the potential for domestic violence during Super Bowl Sunday by giving false statistics of a rise in domestic violence during past Super Bowl Sundays. (Another political statement)

Still doesn’t explain the anger. Unless it’s pre-emptive anger. We’ve had enough of that.

And my racial agenda has come out, but it is an agenda that doesn’t warrant anger as a response.

:shrug: There’s a big taboo in our society. We’re not supposed to publicly observe that black people have a large disproportionate tendency to behave self-destructively, criminally, and irresponsiblely. Nobody wants to be accused of racism.

What amuses me more than those commercials is regular TV shows and movies where blacks tend to be portrayed in a very positive light, for example George Jefferson and Heathcliff Huxtable.

If the show needs someone to play the role of an idiot/dufus, it’s almost never a black person and it’s usually a white man.

What’s most amusing of all is the evening news, when they say things like “the rape suspect is described as a 20 year old male, approximately 5 feet 10 inches tall.”