Just Play in the fucking rain you fucking pussies!!!

Why are baseball players so nutless. Is a little bit of water going to kill you. Get your overpaid asses out there and entertain me you fucking prima donnas. So the field is a little swampy, so deal with it. It adds a little extra dimension to the game. What the fuck is the problem? Football players do this all the time. I played ball in the fucking snow when I was a kid and I wasn’t getting paid millions of dollars for it. This is the fucking World Series you worthless. slacker, goldbricks. Get out there and paly some fucking ball! Now, you fucking wusses!

Hey, leave me out of this! :smiley:

Football gets better with the elements. I guess it isn’t the same with baseball. Oh well, now I can watch my local news. So interesting… yes… hrrmmm…zzzzzzzzzzzz

Hah. I had actually thought about starting a thread with almost the same title. :slight_smile:

I agree. Football, rugby, soccer (real football) and other games do it. I love football games where the field is so muddied that players slide 5 yards everytime they get tackled.

They should just let them play. It would be a lot of fun to watch.

The only sport where I agree with rain delays is tennis, and that’s only because a waterlogged ball won’t bounce, and makes the game completely unplayable.

Otherwise, get out there and play, you whiny bitches. I used to play lacrosse in fucking hailstorms, and with so much rain on my glasses that all I could do was look for something the other team’s color and flatten it.

When was the last time you tried to watch a 90 mile an hour baseball coming at you through the rain dripping off the brim of your helmet? Just curious, that’s all.

Its as bad as paintball players. I was at a Dollack Scenario Game back in '01, down in Florida, and it starts raining (gee, its summer in Ocala, wonder why?) The field has over 1000 participants, and over half of them walk off. They’re afraid to get their prescious equipment wet. Why the hell didn’t they do like the rest of us hardcore ballers and wrap their markers in a trashbag and go shoot someone?

Baseball sucks. Enough. End of story. And if you doubt me, I’ll bean you with a pitch! :smiley:

When was the last time you tried to watch a 90 mile an hour baseball coming at you through the rain dripping off the brim of your helmet? Just curious, that’s all.

When’s the last time I got paid 120 million dollars to PLAY A GAME? Nope. No sympathy for pro sports. They ought to bring back the steel cleats (if they ever went out) and introduce aluminum bats too. I think it would be entertaining to see a 92 mph fastball hit with an aluminum bat in the rain, at least there would be SOME risk associated with baseball…other than veneral disease that is.

This is part of the reason I don’t watch baseball. Nothing better than one of those horrible football (American) games where the field is covered in mud, the rain is sheeting down, no one can hang on to the ball. Man, I love watching those games. Nothing like em.

I agree with this.

Also, try to hit a soaking wet ball with a soaking wet bat.

The ball is too small and too fast to play the game effectively in the rain.

Game Called Because of Rain, Norman Rockwell, 1949

(It’s oil on canvas - not a watercolour)

I was wondering what would happen if the game were official - but before the ninth inning and some team were ahead. There’s been some tie games in the WS (called because of darkness).

Anyways, good game.

Tomorrow, Roger is batting ninth.

Well, go and start your own professional league. I’ll be watching for it. It sounds like it could be fun.
But it won’t be ML Baseball.

That ball is a little dangerous. Just ask Kaz Ishii of the Dodgers. Kaz’s head sets off the metal detectors at the airport because of the steel plate they put in skull after being struck by a batted ball. And he wasn’t the batter, he was the pitcher. Billy Wagner of the Astros was luckier. He only missed 3/4 of a season after getting knocked unconscious by a ball to the head. Again, he ws the pitcher. Batters get a little upset when they are hit with a pitch. probably because hit hurts and can cause major damage.

So can collisions with other players, collisions with the wall, losing you traction and ripping a groin muscle running the bases or pitching…

And the overwhelming majority of major league baseball do not make that kind of money. And all those players, the ones who make big bucks and the ones who don’t, have dedicated their lives to playing the game. They will gladly go out and play in the rain. It’s the officials that decide when to call a rain delay. It’s at their discretion

Baseball and football are only similar in that athletes are paid to play them. That is where the similarity ends.

Baseball is a pastoral summertime game, it should not be played in the rain. It should also not be played at night, but that argument is going exactly nowhere.

The bigger reason for tennis rain delays is that the water makes the court (especially the lines) very slippery very quickly, and it gets dangerous to play.

It doesn’t matter how much money baseball players make, the game still gets riskier (I’d say a pitcher throwing a wet ball is more likely to screw up and hit someone), not to mention less fun to watch, and there’s no reason that the players should have to face a higher risk of injury just because they get paid a lot.

Other sports played in the rain

Formula 1 racing. It’s just a WAG, but a 200mph Ferrari is more dangerous than a baseball.

Cycling. Again, just a WAG, but freewheeling off the side of an Alp on a bicycle with slick tires less than an inch wide at 70mph is more dangerous than a baseball. *
God damned pussy baseball players. Maybe they’re afraid the rain will make their uniforms cling to their beerguts.

• In 1922, the Tourmalet satge was cancelled due to snow. In July.

OK, one more time.

The officials decide whether or not to suspend play. NOT the players
Are we clear now? How about we call the umps pussies?

We already call the umps a lot of things, don’t we?

But we don’t call them late to dinner.