Justice Department asked to probe Hillary Clinton's email use: NYT

uh oh. This isn’t the typical bs, hot air political jab. :frowning:

I can’t find the NY Times article. Searched for “Hillary Clinton” and configured the search for the past seven days. Is it hidden behind their paywall? I suspect it is.

Yahoo has a lot of the information, that the NY Times reported. I’d love to know exactly what the NY Times uncovered. They have excellent reporters and usually pretty balanced.

This doesn’t sound good.

Two more IGs that Obama will fire, I suspect. And no, the Justice Department will not be pursuing a criminal inquiry.

Nixon fired Special Prosecutor Archibald Cox and Attorney General Elliot Richardson and Deputy Attorney General William Ruckelshaus resigned. aka The Saturday Night Massacre. We know how that turned out for Nixon.

Obama can’t interject himself into a legal investigation. Firing two inspectors general to protect a political ally would be disastrous.

He did it for Kevin Johnson, although this is certainly a more high profile case.

I need a better source than Yahoo to get excited. Let’s see today’s stories… “Banks feel cheated by brilliant home payoff plan”…“New US Currency Law now in effect”… “The newest Obamacare fail: penalties of $36,500 per worker”

Graffiti on the men’s room wall has more gravitas than yahoo news.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/hillary-clinton-camp-defends-e-115747420.html;_ylt=A0LEV086N7JVMYoA9zVXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEybzI1ZG80BGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDQjAzODZfMQRzZWMDc2M-

Bloomberg is also reporting the story. The original source in both cases is the NYT, but for whatever reason the NYT doesn’t think this is a front page story.

Bloomberg also notes that JOhn Kerry was asked about it and he did know about the investigation, so it’s almost certainly a real thing.

Here’s the original story:

It is actually front page news in today’s print edition according to the link.

here’s the Times article.

Will the Washington Post do?

As always, people might want to wait a couple days for the story to develop before hyperventilating. Aw, who am I kidding? Where’s the fun in that?

As a Democrat I have conflicted feelings. On the one hand, I’d hate to see meaningful evidence that any high-profile Democrat broke the law, intentionally or otherwise. But on the other hand, I’ve never cared for Hillary and don’t think she’d be a particularly good candidate so I kind of hope something will level the playing field for the Democratic nomination.

BobLibDem…

BobLibDem…

BobLibDem!

Hello? Hello?!!

I think you may want to give him longer than 3 1/2 hours. Especially when his last post in this thread was at 7:59. Some people do have day jobs and schedules (note: I’m not suggesting that you don’t, nor am I trying to speak for anyone, other than speculation).

I’ve said before, as a liberal Democrat (much to the chagrin of my older brother, most of the people he associates with, and the general population of my state of residence, Kentucky) that assuming Clinton gets the nod, the only person who could beat Hillary IS Hillary.

'sup, dude?

Can’t get excited about this. Presumably as president, her email account will be quite secure indeed.

WSJ is now reporting that, after inspecting 40 out of 30,000 emails, the “Inspector General of the Intelligence Community” found 4 that contained information that was classified at the time it was sent.

DOJ says this isn’t quite true.

I get all my Clinton information from FoxNews:

Yup. The media (NYT inclusive) is desperate to whip up something as news. Maybe waiting until stories are verified and fully clarified would make better journalistic practice but hey this way brought more clicks!

No question in my mind that the private server bit was a bad judgement call that remains bad judgement despite the fact that other SOSs have done it and that it was legal. Right now it seems like there is no clear evidence that anything classified went out that was classified when it went out but damn it seems like doing it that way is creating a circumstance in which such mistakes are more likely to occur.

As the old joke goes, just because she is a bit paranoid does not mean that there are not many forces, including mainstream media ones, out to get her. They are. And this whole thing was still a judgement mistake. Not a huge big deal one, but so far the worst anyone’s got.

The NYT and Washington Post are the most respected news services we still have.

I wouldn’t have given this story a second thought but the NYT brand means something.

They aren’t perfect but they sure as hell aren’t Fox News either.

Thank you for the link. Can’t imagine why I couldn’t find it this morning with NYT’s search and a date range check.

Heck handling of classified material recently brought down General Petraeus. Barely avoided prison. Inquiries into the handling classified documents are serious.

Then let’s quote the Times.

Keep digging. I’m sure there’s a pony in there somewhere.

There comes a point where an unbiased criminal inquiry is the only way to proceed. Justice and confidence in our leaders supersedes politics. Certainly future leaders too. What happens if the Dem nominee is embroiled in a criminal investigation during the general election? It’s unprecedented.

I don’t think we’re there yet. But this seems significant. source NYT linked earlier