Karen Hughs is a fucking idiot

Ahead of their time. They would have all been commies if Marx and Engels had bothered to invent it yet. Well, except Hamilton, he was definately an Adam Smith capitalist. And John Adams - pretty conservative. Washington really never struck me as a commie. Well, maybe they weren’t commies, but they did leave God out of the constitution, that’s something, isn’t it.

(Franklin, I always thought Franklin would have made a great hippie on a commune somewhere).

Well, he was definitely all for free love.

Is this true?

Was the “ONUG” added to the pledge during the Mccarthy era?

It was added to the pledge by an act of Congress in the 50s, which is largely regarded as the McCarthy era, or the height of the cold war.

But it was also used by Lincoln in the Gettysburg address and so kind of fits the “indivisible” part, if you want to tie in to some historically significant event.

Oops. That was only the “UG” part. THe “ON” was already there. :slight_smile:

Thanks.

And the text of the constitution doesn’t contain the word God or our creator?

Nope. Nor do any of the Amendments.

No. The DoI* does, and many people confuse the two. One would hope that someone like Hughs would know the difference.

*the famous “endowed by their creator with certain unalienable rights…”

DOI?

Declaration of Independence.

The hint didn’t help…?

Joan Chittister had a lot to say, and it is well written. Not everyone wants to be us. They don’t need to be.

No, which means I need to do some serious studying. I’m taking a US society class, and we covered the “DOI” in detail last week. :stuck_out_tongue:

Are you a US citizen? If not, then I’m making assumptions I shouldn’t make. If you’re not from the US, there’s no reason to expect you’d know about that phrase in the DoI.

Cept for Cindy Sheehan, of course. :slight_smile:

And Pat Tillman’s parents probably wouldn’t be welcomed, either.

Born and bred in Brooklyn NY, although some people wouldn’t consider me a US citizen in that case. :smiley:

Of course, you’re a US citizen! That kind of “Call Security” US citizen.

The Arab News online newspaper has an amusing commentary about Karen Hughes trip to the Middle East here.

snippet:

In Egypt, asked a question about the Muslim Brotherhood, she turned quizzically to an aide to help her out, since she presumably had not heard of the group, which has been active and vocal in Egyptian politics since the 1920s.

Charged with burnishing the US image in the Muslim world, she only succeeded in projecting a syrupy sweet demeanor, using hokey lines like “I am a mom and I love kids,” or banal observations, about what goals Palestinians should pursue, like “they should have children and families.”

In Turkey, she gushed: “I love all kids, and I understand that is something I have in common with the Turkish people — that they love children.”

In Cairo, when she asked a group of college students how many of them had voted in the recent presidential election, only one hand shot up. The next day, she worked into her standard speech a heartwarming story about meeting someone who had participated in the first multiparty election in Egypt’s history.