Katrina person one year later-have I missed the spoof, or is this guy for real?

If you are really and truly stating that you did not mean to invoke race by your comment, then I will accept, for the time being, that you are a poor communicator, and I think your typing “skills” thus far tend to support that position.

However, if you continue to make “unclear” statements that are inflammatory when taken at face value, don’t be surprised to see your name reappear in The Pit on a regular basis.

Welcome to Straight Dope.

DEFIANT 1’s apparent sock puppetry and codespeak aside, his words come off moreso extremely bigoted and classist rather than racist.

Of course he’s being a bit disingenuous trying to clean up his statement saying that “welfare culture” has its “non-acheivers” like any other culture and trying to reconcile that with his earlier statement where “he probably feels the same sense of entitlement as every other tax sucking parasite.”

Be proud to be a bigot, man. Don’t backpedal.

You know what, I’m going to be nice for once. You can thank me for it later. When you’re on SDMB, the only way for people to know who you are as a person is how you present yourself in your posts. This board takes particular pride in being more literate than most. By not using your damn shift key, posting without thinking, and your grammar issues, you stand out as someone who doesn’t think about what you’re trying to say. Perhaps you’re posting from a blackberry or something, but seriously, how you’re saying what you’re saying doesn’t exactly help your cause.

Oh and Askia, the next time you’re in LA, I’m so buying you a beer.

you are killing me here.

one possibly misused word (culture) sends you off the deep end.

you asked me to elaborate, that is what i did.

apparently it would not matter what i said. you don’t care for an answer to your question you just want a whipping boy to make you feel better about your selves

You’re a dense individual, and for once, maybe I’ll quit before I waste too much time. It’s not about one word. Your choice of words (“parasite”) was a good one, and your “those people” tone were the problem. If you weren’t talking about black people, great. You failed to make yourself clear, and that’s not anybody else’s fault.

And like I said, you’re derailing a good Pit topic.

i’ll check back later to see what you’ve done with my bloody corpse

my those people tone?

go fuck yourself.

i don’t need youto put words in my mouth

How will we get ourselves out of this hole?

Let’s DIG our way out!

[/simpsons]

I have a completely different take on this story.

Y’all are calling this dude, “lazy.” This dude is anything but lazy. Crazy and shameless, sure. This dude is working hard to milk this free ride for all its worth until he’s physically evicted by court order.

This dude (and at least three others) managed to find and exploit a loophole in the law that gets him to live, completely free, in a hotel in NEW YORK CITY, with cable service, running water, air conditioning, maid service (I guarantee he didn’t make up that bed himself.)

He might be entitled to a room by state law, but why is he entitled to a continuance of the free hotel services, too? The free electricity, phone, TV in the room? Why doesn’t the Holiday Inn just go in while he’s out begging for food and shut down the electricity to his room, jack the TV, remove all the linen, pillows, disable the running water and make it much less comfortable while he’s there, and restore services when he’s gone for good?

Or, y’know – change the locks.

Oh, and leaving out the reporter’s bias for a second (that line about Halle Berry and “lazy lust”) – if he’s been assigned a caseworker, isn’t it likely this guy is mentally ill?

You mean the guy in the news article, or DEFIANT?

:stuck_out_tongue:

BTW Askia if you are ever in Jackson I am also SO buying you a beer :smiley: Or some hot wings even.

Ooo. Cheap shot for an unintended set-up. I approve!

English is my second language. I have said before that my grammar is a crime against nature, but if that is not your excuse DEFIANT 1, then I have to tell you that your grammar here is murdering, torturing, pillaging and raping the language.

Goths, Vandals, Huns, Hottentots, or other barbarians attempting to write in Latin could do a better job.

I think you bastards keep offering me beers 'cuz y’all know I don’t drink alcohol!

I’ll take them wings, tho.

I played a little game with myself when I read the OP, before clicking the link. Is the guy black or white? I reckoned he’d be white, so I was wrong.

But, really, if people didn’t expect this thread to generate its own hurricane force winds, then I’m surprised. And “apparent sock puppetry”, Askia - you might as well withdraw that before you get a friendly tap on the shoulder. If what you are driving at is true, why bother with him or her anyway? Like arguing with an alcoholic. Stick to me!

Should that first sentence have a question mark? :wink:

In any case, at the risk of posting on topic ~ducks~, I think that guy in the OP’s article is not only a first rate parasite, but probably part of the reason why some people are getting fed up with NOLA refugees. It only takes a few stories like this for some-but-not-all people to begin saying things like “See what those people are like?”

Same here. The image I had in my head after reading the first few posts was of a white guy.

:sigh: I already know it is useless to mention to those people that almost all the horrid news from the superdome and shooting at rescuers were not true. In this case it should be better to keep in mind that the other 300 Katrina persons did not abuse the aid, only these 4 bad apples remain.

While I agree with all of y’all and stuff like that, I’d just like to point out that the bolded word is as bad as your “nigger” where I’m from. Please don’t use it except in historical context or similar.