Kaylee vs. Bailey

Weird… when one of my ex-girlfriends was coming up with potential names for babies, Kaylee and Bailey took the top of the list. (I had to root for Kaylee because I have a cat named Bailey and that would have just been weird.) When I saw the thread title I wondered if she joined the boards and was pregnant and trying to decide between the two finally.

Haven’t seen Firefly, but Bailey, while she had her moments, had a kind of squarish jaw that just didn’t work. IMDB photos of Kaylee from Firefly shows she’s clearly the winner. And if she’s an engineer and all that she’d likely scream ahead into no contest territory.

Bailey’s been at the top of my list for 25 years and I’m not changing.

We’re talking looks, brains and a shy demeanor that barely contains a volcano of passion just underneath the surface. The eyeglasses and faint scar only added to the package.

The only thing Bailey ever lacked was a short pleated skirt, white blouse, and knee socks.

Bailey. No contest.

Kaylee is cute. But Baily is hot.

She’s used to working on a differnt type of… machinary.

I have just started watching Firefly and I have to say, even though I am a straight woman, that Kaylee is incredibly cute. What is her ethnic derivation, does anyone know? She has that appealing exotic look, a genuine, open smile, and a great bod. Apparently Jewel Staite gained 20 pounds to play Kaylee, lost it after the series ended, and wasn’t asked to regain it for the movies. Wonder what the effect will be? 'Cause she was skinny enough as it was.

Well, first, she’s actually a mechanic rather than an engineer. And second, Bailey is smokin’ hot, and clearly the winner.

Mmmm… Bailey…

Are you kidding? I’m a straight woman, and I’d do Kaylee in a heartbeat.

Personally, I don’t see the Bailey attraction. Maybe if I had grown up with WKRP.
Kaylee by a mile.

I never understood the fascination with Bailey either. I’m not saying she’s a hideous dog or that she fell off the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down. I just don’t find anything remarkable about her and maybe that’s why she appeals to so many people. She looks approachable.

Marc

Actually, there’s likely a bit of contrariness in play. The woman who was supposed to be the eye-candy on that show, Loni Anderson, was boring. Looking back on the show now, her appearance is dated with that eighties “big hair” look, and it didn’t help that the one man who aggressively pursued her, Herb, was a slimeball who she ridiculed at every opportunity. Jan Smithers, though, projected vulnerability and shyness and subtler charm. Johnny was a jerk to her, but he’s a jerk anyway.

Shudder Loni Anderson looked hideous on that show. Bailey certainly was the prettier of the two, but still can’t hold a candle to Kaylee’s cuteness.

Well, maybe contrariness did play some role. For some. Maybe.

As far as I’m concerned though, Bailey projected wholesome good looks and smoldering sexuality. She was hot. Smokin’ hot.

Well, in Firefly terms, Bailey::Jennifer as Kayliegh::Inara. Both shows have a woman who looks hot, is clearly positioned to look hot to the male audience, yet it becomes increasingly clear that the hotness is artificial and obvious and fleeting while the hotness of the other woman becomes apparant and has staying power.

I’d do Jennifer sure, but Bailey daily.

Well, one thing the publicity stills don’t quite get across is that Jan Smithers has some amazing, uh, assets. As a young boy, those tight sweaters were a good part of Bailey’s charm. Along with her ‘girl next door’ thing.

But Kaylee is a major cutie. Now we have a third cutie to add to the endless Bailey/Mary Ann debates.

Well, now we need someone to write a ditty called “Mary-Anne to Bailey to Kayleigh” to the melody of “O’Brien to Ryan to Goldberg” (which itself was kind of a ripoff of a poem called “Tinker to Evers to Chance”), from the movie Take Me Out to the Ball Game.

I’ve seen both Smithers and Anderson in a photo standing next to one another wearing t-shirts. Anderson had much more impressive assets then Smithers back then. Of course in this photo Smithers didn’t have those clunky glasses and was looking quite a bit better then she looked on WKRP.

Marc

Well, I’ll admit that I don’t think I’ve ever seen an episode of WKRP—it was before my time. And I could never find it in reruns—but I’m still going to have to vote for Kaylee. She is the very definition of “cute.

And starship engines “make her hot.” :smiley: :cool:

Ranchoth
("Oooh…synchronizers!)