Keeping the cat out of the kitchen and the dog off the bed.

I’m not really interesting in training methods, but something I could do for immediate effect. Unless you consider setting a trap or something “training”.

I want the cat to stay out of the kitchen, period…no jumping on counters or any of that shit.

I want the dog to stay off the bed while I’m gone but I don’t want him scared of the bed because once in awhile I will let him up there, it’s one of his favorite things. And I don’t want to lock him out of the bedroom while I’m gone.

I use a plastic carpet protector. It comes in rolls and has little spikes on the bottom to keep it from sliding around . Put the spikes facing up and it is very uncomfortable to lay on.

Um, dogs are very literal, like 3 year old kids.

It confuses the hell out of them if you reprimand them one day for doing something you let them do another. Just shut the door to the bedroom and keep them out when you do not want them on the bed. Any dog trainer will tell you to be consistant. On the bed or off the bed, pick one or the other and maintain it.

As to the cat, probably impossible without something like a shock mat. Just try to block the kitchen as off limits when you are not in there.

There is nothng that a cat likes better to do than learn tricks such as “roll over”, “shake hands”, “speak!”, and such. Gentleness and positive reinforcement are important in training (just like with dogs). The next time your kitty comes into the kitchen say firmly, “No kitchen”. Then give him/her a little piece of cat food if s/he leaves. Continue to do this till trained. If this does not seem to help, gently herd the cat from the kitchen till trained.

I’ve heard that putting cookie sheets full of water on the kitchen’s flat surfaces makes kitty very unhappy when it jumps on the counter, and discourages it from doing it again.

Training a cat? This way lies insanity. The best option is a door for both the dog and cat. Then again a closed door makes a cat want to go into that room even more but I find it’s easier to shoo them out when they know they’re not supposed to be in there.

I have a few suggestions for the cat problem.

Supposedly the scent of lavender repels cats. For me it worked to keep my cat from swinging from a hanging lampshade, but I haven’t had much luck with it in any other situations.

Also, tin foil is another thing cats hate. They don’t like to step on it. But who wants a tin foil door mat in the kitchen?

A better suggestion… keep a spray bottle, set to stream instead of spray, in the kitchen. Maybe even keep several in different areas of the kitchen. The second the cat enters the room, shoot him. As long as your cat isn’t one of those rare water-loving cats, this should work great, as long as you are consistent. I use this tactic in a variety of settings with one cat. He’s terrified of the squirt bottle! He is to the point where the sight of the water bottle is enough to send him running and screaming.

My other cat unfortunately is a water-lover. He hangs out in sinks and bathtubs just hoping for a chance that some stream of water will appear. If I shoot him with the spray bottle, he just looks at me calmly, cocks an eyebrow and says, “bring it woman!” He’s not your average cat though.

Agreement with the other posters.

Dog: You can try the upside-down chair mat idea, but the simpler thing would be to just close the bedroom door when you aren’t home. If he’s determined to lay there, he’ll push the chair mats off.

Cat: If there is one entryway into the kitchen, then you can try putting some kind of barrier like fly paper, tinfoil, or a beaded or plastic-flap curtain. These may or may not work depending on your cat. Also, they are useless if there is another way into the kitchen, say if your kitchen has an open bar area like mine. You can also try scolding your cat every time you catch him in the kitchen, which will at least keep him out of there while you are home. You can also keep organized enough that the kitchen isn’t very interesting. So, no dishes in the skin, no fun pens or baubles to push off, etc.

The next time your cat jumps on the counter or comes into the kitchen, wet your fingers under a tap. Go over to the cat and flick water in its face by extending your fingers and thumb from your palm and make a loud “tssst” sound. The next time your cat does something you don’t like, do the same thing but don’t wet your fingers first. Your cat will probably stop doing whatever it was up to because it associates the hand motion and sound with an unpleasant spray of water. Worked for me, anyways.

What worked for me to keep the cat off the kitchen counters was to clap (just once, but sharply and loudly to get her attention), tell her no, and heave her off onto the floor.

After a few times, all I needed to do was clap at her and she’d get down. Now she never gets up there at all, as she knows she’s not allowed.

Eventually, most of us learn the saying that applies here:
You don’t always get what you want.

My dog I had when I was a kid was pretty smart. He was not allowed on the bed, but when everyone left the house, we were sure he was going on it. We’d see indentations etc.

We could never catch him, till one day my mum got into the car and left. She parked it up the street and snuck back and then peaked into the window and sure enough the dog was on the bed.

He had learned, all on his own, how to listen for the car and climb on the bed after it left and then get off it when we came back.

Mum threw a glass of water on him and well, that cured him. He never went on the bed again.

As for the cat, well cats like high things. The higher the better. The way to stop kitty from climbing is to give him/her a dedicated perch. You make it a rule that no matter what kitty can’t be scolded when he/she is on the perch.

So the fact is kitty wants to be high up and if he/she gets yelled at at every place he/she climbs except for his/her dedicated perch. He/she will just go there.

Put a baby blanket on the perch and make it as high as possible so the cat can survey the room. They love this. I made it so the cat could hop on the desk to file cabinet to shelf to top shelf, which had a soft felt baby blanket. The cat would come into the room and immediately run up to the top.

Well, that’s not going to work. There are essentially three options:

[ul]
[li]Working with the dog (training)[/li][li]Setting a trap to scare the animal off (training, but you are not building a relationship)[/li][li]A barrier (closing the door)[/ul][/li]
You’ve ruled out all three, since setting a trap essentially is aversive training.

aruvqan is correct, it will be very hard to train the dog that “sometimes it’s ok, sometimes it’s not.” Consistency is the first principle of training a dog.

I can’t speak for the cat people, but it’s not hard to train a dog. However, it’s much easier (and kinder) to train the dog to do something than to train him not to do something; he is looking to you for leadership.

We have had complete success with our dogs by giving them a special bed right next to our bed, and leading them to it, and praising them. They very quickly learned this was their spot and they would be praised for going to it; also, it’s almost like sleeping in a big pile (which is a dog’s favorite way to sleep). They’re right next to us and we’re all denned together. They took to it so well that when they are scared by something, they often run to their beds and sit in them.

If you want to reward a dog who like to sleep with you but you don’t want to confuse him by making the human bed suddenly available, the answer is simple – go to HIS place. I often make a pallet of blankets for myself and like down beside our dogs when they need comfort (like when they have stitches in from a hospital visit) and snuggle them in their safe place, without making them change and learn something new in a stressful time. And the human bed stays off-limits.

This would probably work for keeping the cat off of the counter. Here is a video of it in action (fast forward to around 1:10).

Or perhaps the Blender Defender.

For cats, human-initiated discipline methods will tend to teach the cat that they’re not supposed to get caught on the counter.

A couple times in the last few months one of my dogs (she’s over nine years old) has been caught on the kitchen table. She’s always been cat-like, and I suspect that is the lesson she’s learned recently.

Our lesson is to make sure the table is completely cleaned off before taking our eyes off it.

-Joe