Keeping US borders safe

That’s the first thing I thought of. Luminol would reveal blood from any animal, so even a luminol test wouldn’t be probable cause.

Ah, an ad hom followed by an assumption of facts not in evidence. You’re in top form today.

It isn’t remote; Calais is the main crossing point between all of the Atlantic provinces and the US. As for the equipment, how hard can it be to get from the police while holding a guy on suspicion?

Oh, okay, Unc, I’ll humor you: Tell me the maximum amount of blood that should be allowed without inciting questions. If, as a *reasonable * person would say, it’s zero, then *any * constitutes “all that”. Then perhaps you could explain why a hunter would bother to cut up an animal carcass and then forget to bring it home with him. If that’s too complex a problem for you, then too damn bad.

Uh, because meat probably wouldn’t last the 9.5 hour drive between Minto and Boston?

No need to answer that question about the hyperbole now. You’re being willfully stupid. What the hell do you mean “without inciting questions?” Did you not read your fucking link before posting this trollish and pathetically transparent strawman?

It said that not only did the authorities hold this guy for two hours for questioning, they checked through every means available to them for outstanding warrants.

Sure. He was helping a friend. Dumbfuck.

Ooh, ooh! I know!

Raises hand

He was helping another hunter?
He was donating the meat to a local charity or orphanage because he doesn’t eat it?
He was leaving the meat at a local butcher to pick up later?

There are dozens of perfectly reasonable reasons why our hypothetical hunter would have a bloody chainsaw and no meat with him.

What’s my prize? I bet it’s just insults from Elvis, as usual. I bet he’ll call me a liar, too. He’s become quite predictable in addition to being absolutely raving mad.

And while you’re not-so-artfully dodging questions, Elvis, you mind telling me what in fuck-all this has to do with “the right to bear arms?”

so, essentially what we have is that a US citizen was allowed back into the US? THe article doesn’t say that all he had w/him was the chain saw etc. and despite those crack scientists on CSI, t’aint common to have crime scene lab folks at the border waiting to test out various objects. Blood can indeed look like paint and vice versa, and animal blood is virtually indistinguishable from human to the naked eye. They detained him for two hours. much more than that, it can become a custodial issue.

The fact that they detained him at all suggests to me that the border guards were trying to do a good job.

Right. Just as it said in the article, “we don’t have a crime lab here.”

And yet you object to calling the amount of blood “all that”, or to the idea that the guards might have suspected something wrong. Imagine. Do try to have a good argument before you spew the invective, will you? Or at least a consistent one. Now how about you turn the computer off, go get your sword and brass knuckles, and go hunt a deer? :rolleyes:

Of course they suspected something was wrong. That’s why they detained him for two hours and checked for wants/warrents etc.

probable cause remember that pesky thing? not just suspicion that somethign’s off. Ya know, I’m pissed that all those folks at Gitmo are being held on ‘suspicion’. I’m not likely to be real happy that a US citizen is being held w/o cause either.

you keep on harping, too, about the brass knuckles etc. I’m not personally a collector of that sort of thing, but others are. doesn’t mean he had just used them. maybe he bought them up there for his collection here. maybe he does carry them all the time. we would have no way of knowing.

why are you assuming that the list provided is the sum and total of all that he had with him? I’d assume that it was the sum and total of all potentiall suspicious items he had with him. again, we don’t know what all he had with him - maybe he was in the process of moving all of his stuff down here, and the full inventory was something like “14 plates, 2 saucepans, 7 spoons, 15 forks, one small tv, 15 books, 23 pair of jeans, 54 t-shirts, 60 pair of underoos, one pink satin teddy, one set brass knuckles, 4 screwdrivers, 1 hammer, 1 set tire chains, 1 chain saw, box of nails, and 47 8-track tapes”

This conveys an inaccurate impression. Given your past history of posting things I would call inaccurate and you subsequently labeling them hyperbole, I wanted to know which this was and either withhold my complaints along this avenue, or prevent you from pedaling backwards down it later.

Eh? I don’t see how this follows at all from my statements. You appear to be laboring under the assumption that I think the authorities should have simply let this man pass through without inquiry. Is that a fair assessment? If so, given the facts in article you linked, I believe the authorities acted properly - both in detaining this man and releasing him.

I’m not a hunter. Or at least I have never hunted anything except upland game; and not even that for about a dozen years. Swords ain’t too effective against them things. Plus they make the dog nervous.

Naw, only Minutemen pack that kind of arsenal when huntin’ them furriners.

Yep, he was a Minuteman.

The population of Calais, Maine is 3,447; the regional area is only about 15,000. Checking a map shows Calais is not even on the major interstate (I-95), and it appears somewhat remote. A quick glance at border crossing traffic data for 2004 (warning: large PDF) indicates that Calais is not the main crossing point, though it’s up there. Of course, border traffic in Maine is probably lower than in many states and probably consists of a high percentage of local traffic.

One thing that I find interesting is that when he was arrested in Boston, two days after crossing the border, he was wearing clothes that were apparently bloodstained. In public.

So, uh, did he find some American gore to roll in, or did he bring bloody clothes across the border? Was he wearing them? WTF?

I don’t know what kind of information is currently shared, but I have a hard time getting my head around how a guy carrying a bunch of weapons (and a bloody tool,) and who likely had bloody clothes in the car with him, couldn’t be detained long enough for the U.S. border authorities to talk to the RCMP and find out that the guy was supposed to be in court that day on a charge of assaulting someone and threatening to murder them. With a knife.

Take notes, ElvisL1ves, this is how to posit an argument.

Even if he was supposed to be in court, until he has missed his date, AND had an arrest warrant issued, that isn’t a reason to arrest the guy. Unless carrying the weapons is a crime, in and of itself, you can’t arrest him over that either. One of the “weapons” was a hatchet, for god’s sake.

The most damning thing here is the bloody chainsaw, and none of us knows exactly what “bloody” means in this context. A small amount of blood here or there could easily be the result of a tree cutting accident, which happens all the time.

Remember, we ARE talking about arresting someone and holding him for an indefinite period of time when you don’t even know that a crime has been committed. How long do you hold him? Does he have to somehow prove that he didn’t commit a crime, and that the blood has a non-criminal source?

Perhaps the OP thinks that David Caruso should hop in his hummer, drive up to the border crossing, and use the portable chainsaw analyzer to learn from the DNA in the blood if it was released through violence?

That, and a smug “I know your guilty” speach would easily have gotten that guy to confess. Confess, or talk about how the lesser Canadian Moose-Demon Shigorlah ordered him to kill that fuckin’ country singer. One of the two.

that’s it - forget the portable chain-saw blood analyzer, just train all of our border guards to interrogate in that creepy smug way - hell, that way, we don’t even need cops, we just need creepy CSI guys.

No.