Khadaji’s Whatcha Reading Thread - December 2022 edition

The Color of Dragons

Terrible. I think it might be a young adult book, which I wasn’t expecting, but even if it is, it isn’t a good one. Not one original idea in the entire book. Derivative and boring. Skip it.

Currently reading When the Night Bells Ring by Jo Kaplan. It’s a story told in two timelines, one from the 1800s and one from the future, about a cursed silver mine.

Finished rereading Stephen King’s Dreamcatcher. Loved it as much as I did the first time.

Then I was looking through King’s books I have on my kindle and realized Elevation was a novella I bought but never read! I read it in two sittings. Not his best, but I enjoyed the character development.

I hated it the first time and regarded it as his worst. Many years later I tried it again and still didn’t love it (the chase scene goes on forever), but it wasn’t horrible.
I’m not sure what I’d call his worst now. The Dark Half maybe. It’s never really felt like him.

I finished Fugitive Telemetry by Martha Wells this morning. I enjoyed it a lot in spite of the slightly deus ex machina solution. (I mean really most of Murderbot is a ghost in the machine scenario anyway!)

Finished Voyage by Stephen Baxter, which was okay.

Now I’m reading Science in a Nanosecond: Illustrated Answers to 100 Basic Science Questions, by James A. Haught.

Finished Science in a Nanosecond: Illustrated Answers to 100 Basic Science Questions, by James A. Haught, which was okay.

Now I’m reading The Best of It: New and Selected Poems, by Kay Ryan.

Started today on what will likely be the last book of the year, and I feel like I’m one of the last people to read it: The Kaiju Preservation Society by John Scalzi. Liking it!

Huh. I did not much care for Redshirts even though it won the Hugo Award…for some reason. I’d love to hear thoughts about this book, though. Any good?

I thought you’d read it already! I loved it, it was a fun little adventure story with great characters and kaiju.

I’ve read Old Man’s War and it was okay but didn’t make me want to continue the series. I’ve heard good things about Redshirts as well but I’m not sure I have enough sci-fi background to really “get” it.

I liked both Old Man’s War and Redshirts. The latter, especially, is must-reading for any Trekker.

I liked Redshirts a lot. It was clever and fun how it all unfolded, and even made me think a little.

KPS was pretty good, although fairly light in terms of story and characters.

I read Collapsing Empire, which was good enough to finish, but not good enough to inspire me to read the next two books in the series.

I read all three of the Collapsing Empire series, and hope you’ll give it another shot sometime. Scalzi really crafted an interesting narrative arc over the course of the trilogy, I thought.

C’mon over here for a look, too: Your Top Ten books of 2022

I’m gonna have to be the contrary one here. I merely disliked Redshirts until I got to the codas and now I thoroughly hate Redshirts. I did like the Old Man’s War series, though.

Good on ya, I’m usually the contrary one in any group. :laughing:
KPS is the only the second Scalzi I’ve read, the other being The Dispatcher , so far I am 2 for 2 though KPS was a lot more fun.

Finished The Best of It: New and Selected Poems, by Kay Ryan, of which my favorite poems were “Flamingo Watching” and “Her Politeness”.

This is the last (#200!) book I’ve read this year. I will announce my next book in the January, 2023 Khadaji column.

Dang, I thought I read a lot. According to Goodreads, I hit 153 last year.

I read quite a few short books, which increases my quantity.

Out with the old, in with the new