Khadaji’s Whatcha Reading Thread - December 2022 edition

Finished rereading Richard Bachman’s Blaze. I’d read it originally long ago, but remembered it in detail. A really interesting story.

Started rereading Stephen King’s Duma Key. I originally read it a long time ago, but don’t really remember the story. Enjoying it.

I’ve read all of King’s stuff, but most of the later books only a single time. Someday I’ll go back and read them all again and it’ll be just like new!

My only “regret” was at the beginning of COVID, rereading The Stand, and smoking a ton of weed. Too intense.

I’ve been expecting the superflu since I first read it in the eighties!

I’m reading The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid. A very well-received book that has over a million ratings on Goodreads and a very high average rating. I’m still at the beginning, but so far, it’s lived up to the hype for me. I’ve always been a sucker for dual timeline books, and I just know this one’s going to be chock full of secrets and betrayal.

I’m also reading Sporting Gender: The History, Science, and Stories of Transgender and Intersex Athletes by Joanna Harper. I was incredibly hesitant to read this book since it’s $34 on Kindle and my normal method of obtaining books is to buy them from my Kindle. So I decided to download a free sample, and if the sample really pulled me in, I would go ahead and buy it. The sample did suck me in, and so has the book. It’s a fascinating subject, and while I’ve learned a bit about it from the Internet, I’ve never encountered such thorough research all gathered and presented in a single spot (and since it’s a published book, it’s probably more accurate than what I’ve been reading on the Internet anyways).

Please let us know how you liked this book. I’ve not read anything by this author, but she has been highly recommended.

Byzantium: the early centuries John Julius Norwich

Hardcore history, covers the period from Constantine (300 AD) to Irene (800 AD)

A little dry in places, but not bad overall

Finished The Kingdom of Speech by Tom Wolfe, which was a fun read.

Now I’m reading The Twelve Jays of Christmas, by Donna Andrews.

Just finished Blitz by Daniel O’Malley. Five stars! Which reminds me, it’s about time to start looking forward to @Elendil_s_Heir’s best of the year thread, because this book will be on it. It’s third of a series about a secret organization of people with supernatural powers, but also could be read as a standalone. There are two storylines, one taking place in London during WWII, and the other about a modern day woman discovering her abilities and being integrated into the organization. It very pleasantly absorbed my mind over the last couple of weeks. Also, for readers of fantasy and children’s lit, you will find some Easter eggs within. Loved it.

Oh good to hear! I’m going to start it soon., if life would stop happening around me!

Life! Don’t get me started. Can’t these people see I have books to read? :weary:

If it were people, I could have ingnored it. This was a cat emergency that has left me deeply in debt and now one cat less.

RIP Kaibutsu

Oh no! I’m so sorry.

Thank you

My condolences, DZNC.

Live Wire, by Kelly Ripa.

Thanks, he was a good kitty.

Finished Desert Star, the latest by Michael Connelly, another Ballard-Bosch tale. Renee Ballard is head of the newly reconstituted Open-Unsolved Unit, which a city councilman re-formed expressly to solve the murder of his sister when they were both teenagers 28 years ago. She brings on board the retired and ailing Harry Bosch as a volunteer, who is anxious to solve his own personal white whale, the case of an entire family murdered and dumped in a hole in the desert eight years ago. Very good as can be expected, but Connelly has introduced a new character on the team I cannot stomach. Not sure what she’s supposed to be doing there.

Am now almost halfway through Racing the Light, the latest by Robert Crais, another Elvis Cole-Joe Pike venture.

Awaiting your opinions…

I found his third better than his second, Artemis is bad, Project Hail Mary is simply not very good.