Khadaji’s Whatcha Reading Thread - December 2022 edition

If you like it be sure to read the books about the Normans in Sicily, they are very good and in the same style (I ended up reading everything Norwich wrote except his autobiography, but I’ll read it next year probably)

Just finished James Fell’s “On This Day In History Sh!t Went Down”, which is the usual ‘on this day things happened’ book, and as the title of the book might show, the author is not afraid to use…umm…strong language when appropriate. The stories are interesting, but IMHO the author involves his very strong dislike for Mr. Trump way too often and it drains some of the energy from the 1-page saga he’s trying to tell you about. People who like this sort of thing will like this sort of thing. Me? Doubtful I’ll but his second volume; but we’ll see.

I’m also proceeding through my entire collection of Nero Wolfe mysteries by Rex Stout, most of them written between the 1930’s-1960’s. Have done all the short stories and am now moving through the novels, finished “Plot it Yourself” last Friday and about 25% done with “Over My Dead Body”. The stories are dated as you might expect, but the interaction of the main characters (Nero Wolfe, the corpulent genius and Archie Goodwin, the ‘man of action’) and the stories still hold up in my estimation. Should have enough to keep me busy for another couple of months.

Is that the one with the prize winning bull?

Nope, that was "Some Buried Caesar, (which was one of the first novels I re-read) , one of the very few times Wolfe emerged from his house (due to orchids, of course).

Oh right! I’m sure I’ve read Over My Dead Body but it’s been a long time :smiley:

Started this morning on If This Book Exists, You’re in the Wrong Universe by Jason Pargin (David Wong). It’s part of the John Dies at the End series, funny stuff as always.

Finished it. It was a tantalizing taste of a book that never was; I’m glad to have read it, and at last to have finished O’Brian’s wonderful series.

I’m now about a third of the way through Erik Larson’s The Splendid and the Vile, about Churchill and London during the Blitz. It doesn’t break much new ground historically, but it’s an interesting story and well-told.

Thanks for the recommendation! I’ve added these to my lengthy too-read list.

Finished The Twelve Jays of Christmas, by Donna Andrews. Meh.

Now I’m reading Nettle & Bone by T. Kingfisher.

It was fantastic. Add me to the list of people who highly recommend her (or at least this book, it’s the only full-length novel of hers that I’ve read).

Finished Nettle & Bone by T. Kingfisher, which was excellent.

Now I’m reading Happy Holiday Historicals, edited by Lyn Worthen.

Finished rereading Stephen King’s Duma Key. It was a fun read.

I hereby declare that I am officially done with Henry James. I tried to read Turn of the Screw and couldn’t finish it. I tried to read The Wings of the Dove and couldn’t finish it. I never felt like I was invited to the story. I couldn’t get beyond the page to actually connect to the characters or the action (such as it was) or anything. Even though the characters spent geologic eons thinking, there was always a glass bubble around them preventing any personality from getting through. His characters are just collections of characteristics shrouded by a wall of words and subordinate clauses.

Life’s too short to read Henry James. I’m going back to the good Victorian novels written by people who know how to write, like Dickens and Wilde and Thackeray and Eliot.

THREE TIMES I tried to read it! Why would you write a BORING ghost story?!

I finished Jade Legacy by Fonda Lee and very much enjoyed it. It’s the conclusion to her Green Bone Saga trilogy. It posits a world where jade provides the wearer superhuman abilities, but only the residents of one country who train with it from birth can wear it without going insane. At its root, it’s really a political thriller.

Superheavy: Making and Breaking the Periodic Table Kit Chapman

The history of the synthesis of elements heavier than uranium, from World War 2, when plutonium was produced for atomic bombs, to the present when labs around the world have gotten up to element 118, Ogassenien. Only a few atoms of 118 have been produced, but that counts, apparently.

Interesting topic, written at a very basic level.

Moneyball: The Art of Winning an Unfair Game Michael Lewis

A behind-the-scenes look at a professional baseball team (the 2002 Oakland A’s) and how they attempted to use statistics and big data to change how players are selected and game strategy.

Written in a very sports-journalism style, but worth reading if you are interested in baseball. If you aren’t knowledgeable about the sport, I’d think you’d be lost.

Was also made into a film.

Group Theory in the Bedroom, and other Mathematical Diversions Michael Hayes

A series of short essays (they are expanded versions of a magazine column) on modern mathematical concepts, such as random number generation and group theory. Interesting and enjoyable

Finished Happy Holiday Historicals, edited by Lyn Worthen. It’s an anthology, and my favorite (other than the one I contributed) is "To See Bonhomme, by Rebecca M. Senese.

Now I’m reading Vanishing Fleece: Adventures in American Wool, by Clara Parkes.

Sword of the Lamb by M.K. Wren. It’s the first book in a sf trilogy. I read it back in the eighties when they were first published and remembered enjoying them. So when I saw used copies recently, I picked them up to reread the series.

Re-re-re-reading Double Whammy by Carl Hiaasen. It really is tour-de-force/farce. This and Striptease are him at the top of his game, and his game is pretty damn good. I’d say he and Donald Westlake are pretty much tops for the comic crime category. Although Hiaasen hews closer to a scary reality.

There’s a whole SDMB thread about loathing Henry James. Someone posted that reading him is like eating a pillow.