Khadaji’s Whatcha Reading Thread - December 2022 edition

Dying of Politeness by Geena Davis.
So Help Me God by Mike Pence
Life of Brian by Brian Johnson.

I still love this entire series and pop back to it again and again. Stout’s dry wit and skill with dialogue feels incredibly modern to me, even now.

Finished Racing the Light, Robert Crais’ latest. A podcaster disappears after coming across some terrible secrets, and his parents, who used to work for shadowy government agencies, hire Elvis Cole, and by extension Joe Pike, to find him. Chaos ensues. A very good read. Carries the high quality one now expects of Crais. The problem is, now that I have read both the new Michael Connelly and the new Robert Crais, I have to wait another year to read the next installments.

Have started Fairy Tale, by Stephen King.

I wanted to like Fairy Tale but in the end it never grabbed me.

Glad to read this. Moneyball was recommended to me one time, and I read the beginning of it, but I just couldn’t bring myself to commit to it and read the whole thing.

Finished Vanishing Fleece: Adventures in American Wool, by Clara Parkes, which was interesting.

Now I’m reading American Christmas Stories, edited by Connie Willis.

I finished listening to The Bazaar of Bad Dreams by Stephen King. Like all collections, some of the stories are excellent, some are not quite as good. But all of them are entertaining. My two personal favorites were ‘Obits’ and ‘Afterlife’.

Next up: Treasure State by C.J. Box.

I finished Word of a Lady by Sahara Kelly. It’s the 3rd in her Regency series The Six Pearls of Ridlington Not as good as the first two books, but I still appreciate and enjoy her strong women who know their own minds and don’t care to change for their man.

I am now reading Kill the Messenger by Maz Maddox. The prequel to her new series featuring vampires, necromancers, incubi and apparently a fish named Kevin.

I will start Blitz soon, but I have almost no attention span right now, reading it now would be like having a fancy dinner with a stuffy nose, I’d get through it but I wouldn’t be able to truly taste and enjoy it.

I’m not all that into baseball, but enjoyed the movie very much.

The Last Rhinos Lawrence Anthony

The author is a conservationist who runs a private game reserve in South Africa. In the early 2000s he comes up with a plan to rescue a group of northern white rhinos from the Congo and bring them to his park. Unfortunately, the park is in a conflict zone and one of the main combatants is infamous Lord’s Resistance Army. He manages to get in contact with them, and becomes sympathetic to their cause. At which point, he seems to mostly forget about the rhinos but gets involved in peace talks between the LRA and Uganda, which eventually fall apart.

There is also some stuff about the challenges of managing animals in a park which was pretty interesting.

Finished American Christmas Stories, edited by Connie Willis. I thought the best one was Bret Harte’s “How Santa Claus Came to Simpson’s Bar”.

Now I’m reading Elder Race by Adrian Tchaikovsky. My husband says it’s the best book he’s read this year.

I finished If This Book Exists, You’re in the Wrong Universe. It was fun, fluffy, and da filthy. :wink:
Now I’m in a phase of picking things up and putting them down again, which is fine because I won’t get much opportunity to read for the next five days or so.

And now I’m rereading King’s Dreamcatcher: A Novel.

I last read it 20 years ago, but I remember it pretty well, and yet I’m really enjoying it. Difficult to put down. If you’re wondering wether you’ve read it: Duddits.

I’d have gone with shitweasels.

I’ve not read but I know the reference…

Hah! Yes.

Finished Elder Race by Adrian Tchaikovsky, which was okay.

Now I’m reading Voyage by Stephen Baxter.

I’m nearly done with Erik Larson’s The Splendid and the Vile, about Churchill and London during the Blitz. It doesn’t break much new ground historically, but it’s an interesting story and well-told.

Just finished The Battle of Midway by Craig L. Symonds, a pretty straightforward account of the 1942 carrier battle between the US and Japanese fleets. I learned, to my dismay but not surprise, that the Japanese murdered three captured US Navy airmen after interrogating them - two by heaving them overboard with heavy cans tied to their legs, and one with a fire axe. Appalling.

I’m now enjoying Soviet Visuals by Varia Bortsova, a quirky collection of pre-1991 images of Soviet fashion, architecture, industrial design, propaganda, etc. A lot of it is laughably amateurish. The Kremlin needed Madison Avenue!

The Color of Dragons

Terrible. I think it might be a young adult book, which I wasn’t expecting, but even if it is, it isn’t a good one. Not one original idea in the entire book. Derivative and boring. Skip it.

Currently reading When the Night Bells Ring by Jo Kaplan. It’s a story told in two timelines, one from the 1800s and one from the future, about a cursed silver mine.