Khadaji’s Whatcha Reading Thread - Oct. 2020 edition

I had Piranesi on pre-order and finished it fairly quickly over a few days, trying to pace myself and not rush through it. It was much more straightforward than JS&MN (and a third of the length), with no big story twists or surprises but rather a slow gradual reveal throughout the book.

Where it excelled was its descriptive power, building a world that was at the same time intimate and infinite, and for this alone it is worth a read. To be honest, it reminded me less of Clarke’s earlier work and much more of the works of Italo Calvino, synthesizing the best of his character- and scenery-building writing style but stripping out the structural OCD that often undermines his stories, with the result of a setting that retains a wild and organic quality absolutely required for the story Clarke is telling.

After that, I’ve re-read six of the seven Thursday Next books by Jasper Fforde (haven’t got a copy of The Woman Who Died A Lot to hand at the moment) as well as continuing my slow and steady reading of Katie Whitaker’s biography of Margaret Cavendish.