Kid lit you read as an adult

(Also included are movies, TV, magazines, etc).

I’ve been getting Ranger Rick since I was about seven, and I still get it. The pictures are just gorgeous to look at. And even though the articles are geared towards tweens, they still can be fun and informative.

I still think the Sesame Street movie Don’t Eat The Pictures is funny. And I’m not the only one, apparently. The top reviewer on Amazon says she likes to watch DETP, too- and she’s 27.

And I’m looking foward to the publication of the last Percy Jackson book. Er, that is to say, my brother will want to take it out of the library, and when he’s not around someone might very well read it.

As a teacher, I read tons of kids’ lit. My recent favorite is Diary of a Wimpy Kid. It’s genuinely funny, especially the bit about the protagonist’s role in Wizard of Oz.

Of course I read Harry Potter, and I still find the original book to be the most charming, capturing a wonderful childlike sense of whimsy and discovery.

I’m currently “at critical mass” on The Graveyard Book. Although the plot is more simple and the events simply and briefly told, and the “twists” have been obvious even to this sometimes oblivious grownup, it is still a delight. I find myself wishing my daughter were older so she could read this and **Coraline **right now, without being traumatized.

Oh are we doing TV and movies too? My husband and I like Phineas and Ferb altogether too much. (Aren’t we a little old to be watching it? Yes, yes we are.)

Books- Roald Dahl and Frank Baum still hold up great.

TV - Worzel Gummidge.

I suppose what you consider “kid lit” is partially determined by how old you are. At my age, I consider anything teenagers read as “kid lit.” Having said that, I didn’t read Tarzan until I was in my 40s, and I instantly regretted not having discoveredthe series when I was much younger. It is better than the movies.

Trying to limit it to “new kid lit” and not just “kid lit I loved as a kid and still love,” I would have to say I very much enjoy Carl Hiaasen’s juvie novels, “Hoot,” “Flush,” and “Scat.” Really, they’re not that much different than his adult novels, which I also like.

Another teacher here. My kids lurve those Wimpy Kid books. Especially the boys. I read the first one to get a taste and can see the appeal–nerdy kid, humor, gross stuff, drawings–hey, if it gets my boys eager to read, I’m all for it!

There is a LOT of excellent kid lit that I enjoyed the first time as an adult. Aside from Harry Potter (whose appeal crosses age barriers), I’ve been moved to tears by Kensuke’s Kingdom, Number the Stars, Where the Red Fern Grows, and many more middle elementary-targeted titles.

Want to read a kids’ picture book that will knock your socks off–try Pink and Say by Patricia Polacco. Seriously. Read it.

I still love Susan Cooper’s Dark Is Rising series. I have the anthology with all the books in one binding. Some of the writing is beginning to stand out as notably juvenile, but it’s still very good.

I am a fan of Terry Pratchett, and I think his kid-lit books are among the best he has done–especially The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents, but also the Tiffany Aching books.

I’ve really enjoyed Kenneth Oppell’s “Airborn” series…I bought them for my son and wound up reading them myself. Very well done books.

I’m also a big fan of David Wiesner’s books, especially his ones without words, such as Three Pigs and Sector 7.

Oh, heavens. Lots. I love YA and kid’s fiction, sci fi, and fantasy. I read the Old Kingdom trilogy, by Garth Nix, several years ago, and loved it. Ditto Fire and Hemlock by Diana Wynne Jones- dark, spooky, thoughtful.

I didn’t read the the Little House books or LotR (although that’s not really kid’s stuff) until I was twenty, and loved both series. I wish I’d read Laura Ingalls Wilder when I was a child, instead of endlessly re-reading Little Women. I would have had fewer Victorian Invalid fantasies.

I recently read Skellig, by David Almond, and Tom’s Midnight Garden, on the advice of Nick Hornby (does anyone else read his Books Read column in the Believer, or their collections? They’re fabulous), who was extremely excited to find out that kid’s lit contains reams of stellar novels. Skellig is particularly good. I highly recommend it. It’s about a boy who’s family has just moved into a new, beat-up house, and his baby sister is very sick. There’s an attached garage full of junk, and in it he finds a strange winged creature with a burning need for Chinese takeaway, and meets a little girl with a passion for William Blake and owls. Excellent book.

I don’t know if this counts, because I started reading the Tillerman saga, by Cynthia Voigt, when I was eleven or so, but I read Come a Stranger and Sons from Afar a couple of years ago, and they’re as good as the rest of the series. Lovely writing.

I just cried over The Little Prince recently, what a heavy book for children.

I read quite a few of the YA books my dd brings home. My current favorites are anything by Shannon Hale (the Goose Girl, The Princess Academy, etc.) and the Artemis Fowl series (it is starting to loose steam a bit, but the first three are just plain good fun.)

And of course HP.

Haroun and the Sea of Stories is cool.

I read that as a child, but I’m not convinced it’s a children’s book.

Harry Potter, and I also enjoyed the Charlie Bone series (4 books by Jenny Nimmo). Oh, and all the Narnia stories. I have those in a beautiful one volume set with gold-edged pages.

I have two seasons of The Muppet Show on DVD, and Muppet Christmas Carol (Michael Caine at his best, IMO, very touching performance), and Muppet Treasure Island is one of my favorites.

If I ever catch Bugs Bunny while channel surfing I just have to watch it. That never gets old.

I’ve always been partial to Alfred Hitchcock’s The Three Investigators series. Would love to own the set. Oddly, never took after Nancy Drew or The Hardy Boys.

And of course, Harry Potter.

I re-read some Christopher Pike books recently, and was surprised at how adult they were for books geared to teens.

The movie version of The Last Unicorn was marketed to kids. I’m not sure that it really should have been. My daughter enjoyed it very much as a child, but I think that I enjoyed it even more. Labyrinth was also a movie that I enjoyed even more than she did. On the other hand, I really only wanted to see The Dark Crystal once. I was awestruck by Disney’s Beauty and the Beast.

I loved LeGuin’s Earthsea trilogy, and spent quite a lot of time on Earthsea as a child and teen. I read just about anything by Diana Wynne Jones. I’ve also read everything by Terry Pratchett except for Nation, which I’m saving for a special need since it’s his last book. I really didn’t like the Laura Ingalls Wilder books when I was a kid, but lately I’ve been searching them out and re-reading them, or reading them for the first time. I guess I appreciate the time and the hardships now that I’m older. I’m not terribly fond of the Harry Potter books, or the movies. I’ll read them if I have access to them, but I won’t pay for the books. When my daughter lived at home and worked in a used book store, she borrowed them from the store (which was allowed) and I read them too. My husband apparently loves the movies, as he will watch them any time they’re on TV.