Kids riding the motorized scooters at the grocery store.

The charge meters don’t always tell the truth. I’ve had one die when the meter showed a full charge.

Yes, I’ve encountered people like you.

I have never seen this either, and now I’m curious how widespread it is.

So, poll
mmm

With my luck, I’d confront a kid riding one and find out he had muscular dystrophy.

Ive never seen these motorised scooters in a shop. Disabled and elderly people bring their own mobility aids.

Good point. Lack of a disability should not be assumed. Kids are kids, and just because your legs don’t work right doesn’t mean you are never going to horse around on a mobility device.
mmm

OT but a friend asked a manager at a local Publix if they had anymore beet than what was displayed. He asked the produce stocker who pointed out the radishes :smack:

All the supermarkets in my area have them, as well as the department stores like Target and Wal-Mart. The CVS pharmacy where I pick up my prescriptions even has one.

I need them for my 92 yr. old mother. Walmart is the WORST. They give no shits who is taking them. Target, at least in my neighborhood, keeps them by the security guys so we ask for one. But it’s all as out of control as people bringing their mangy dirty support pit bull into the stores

Aren’t they prohibited by law from asking if a person is disabled or the nature of their disability? They have to assume a person using a scooter has a legitimate need for one. Most places IME don’t monitor the scooters other than to make sure they’re plugged in when not in use.

And as I posted in the other thread, I’ve never seen a kid joyriding around on one, anyway. The times I see them in use are by someone who is actually shopping.

Come to my Walmart. 3 or 4 kids piled on one, incl. one in the basket.

About what you’d expect:

Yeah, but I think there’s a difference between some kid just using them while shopping and some teenager doing donuts in the parking lot. :wink:

I knew a kid with CP who used to horse around on his own motorized wheelchair. If his mother caught him, she’d threaten to put him in “manual” mode (ie, turn it into a push chair), so he just made sure she wasn’t around when he popped wheelies, or gave his friends rides on the back. Or did donuts in the dirt to show off how well he could keep to the same track. It was pretty impressive.

Never seen it. The grocery store I work at keeps them charging in an alcove at the Customer Service desk, anyone wanting to use one has to ask for it to be unplugged by the Key Turner (low level manager-type) on duty. This is likely a great deterrent for joyriding buttheads. Anyone who asks is given one, of course, w/o questions about need, etc.

What I see is parents using the Caroline’s Cart and their kids hopping off and on, using it as a rolling jungle gym or to punish a child who wanders off.

There will always be a few selfish people who do as they like w/o regard for how their actions affect others; that’s an unavoidable fact of life but happily they are not in the majority.

I’m hazarding a guess that the people here who’ve seen kids joy-riding scooters must live in the suburbs. No real reason except that it sounds like a suburban kid thing to do.

Here in the (sort of) inner city, I’ve never seen kids riding grocery scooters. Come to think, I’ve never seen disabled adults riding them, either. In fact the only people I’ve seen ride them are store employees who sure don’t look disabled to me.

Last year, once I was able to get to the car, I could drive to the store and get into a scooter. If a store didn’t have them - or didn’t keep them charged - or had narrow aisles, I didn’t shop there. If I still lived in NYC, I’d have no way to get to the store (and most stores there have narrow aisles). In fact, I’d have no way to maneuver the steps in my building. So a lot of disabled people who live in the city and don’t drive are fairly home bound. They need to find other ways to do their shopping. Cities and suburbs are very different.

If I still live in NYC, I’d never be able to leave my apartment, and my husband would have to do everything for me.

I actually found that Walmart was the best place to shop when I needed a scooter. They have nice wide aisles, and non-food items are easy to get to. Except for the times when their scooters were all in use, or left unplugged, or in disrepair.

The OP seems to be focused on children joyriding which is different but I wouldn’t assume because someone doesn’t look disabled that they don’t have a disability. A severe asthmatic or someone with a heart condition may need one and they are not just older people that have these issues.

This is where a lot of the problems lies is regulating things like that. I was in Chicago a year ago and a man in a wheel chair was livid that he couldn’t get on the bus, though he was trying to ride at rush hour. He was told, even non-disabled people could not get on because the bus was too filled and he’d have to wait like anyone else, for the next bus.

When a store starts censoring who can and can’t use equipment designated for a certain type of person, there are far too many issues at hand. If I need to use the bathroom and the handicapped stall is free should I not use it on the off chance a disabled person will need it the second I step in?

You have to remember a business has to look at all its customers and it has to do what is within the law, when you start going over those guidelines, you can raise more problems than you’d solve.

Especially when items are designated for the use of but not SOLE use of a certain class of people who need them

I use the handicapped stall about 95% of the time because a) very often it’s the only one operational (if you get my drift); and, b) the non-handicapped stalls don’t have the TP dispenser in the right place, or are otherwise too cramped to use.

BTW, there are a lot of people who believe it’s against federal law to use a handicapped stall. This is bunk, of course. AFAIK, non-handicapped people are only obligated to surrender a HC stall if a HC person enters the washroom.