Kill Bill: Where's the love?

best line of the day.

It wouldn’t have made sense in the context of the movie for the Bride to have a change of heart and say “Let’s co-parent!” but I did wonder how she explained the turn of events to BB.

[hijack]

Another thing . . . When the Bride takes on the Yakuza . . . with swords . . . why don’t they just shoot her? Yakuza do have firearms, don’t they?

[/hijack]

I was just about to post this. She told him:
“Of all the impossible things that could never happen, you performing a coup de gras on me by bustin a cap in my crown was right at the top of the list. I was wrong, wasn’t I?”

Bill: “Is that a question? Of impossible things that could never happen, yes, you would’ve been wrong. Was what I did really all that surprising?”

Beatrix: “Yes. Could you have done what you did? Of course you could. But I never thought you would or could do that to me.”

Bill: “Well, I’m sorry, Kiddo, but you were wrong. I mourned you. For three months. And in the third month of mourning you, I went looking for you. Well, not for you. I went after the bastards I thought killed you. <snip> And what did I find?” (serious pissed off attitude here :p) “Not only were you not dead…you were getting married! To some fucking jerk. And you were pregnant. I overreacted.”

Incidentally, I think it’s a real shame that David Carradine has only done nice guy roles til now (with the exception of Death Race 2000). He’s great at them.

Er. Great at megolomaniacal asshole characters, is what I meant. :smack:

I think LHoD’s answer applies here, as well. She’s an assassin. She kills shit. There’s not a whole room there for other skill-sets.

KB doesn’t take place in the real world, rather in a comic book, sin-city-esque, ultra-stylized world in which (for instance) it’s perfectly OK to take katanas on an airliner. Presumably in that world Yakuza use swords, just because.

…not only that, but she buys a first-class seat for the katana. Of course, a Hattori Hanzo deserves no less.

I thought it was a good joke that when Beatrix came to confront Bill in his luxury hotel suite, the first thing she did was pull out a gun. Also that BB turned out to be her guardian angel before she was even born, when she dropped the pregnancy test and therefore escaped the shotgun blast of “Karen.”

FWIW, when I was stationed in Japan we were told katanas that are handmade made by a master, not the mass produced ones, are not considered to be weapons but as works of art.

This applied to any sword made by a japanes master smith not just katanas.

But would a handmade sword really be of any better use than a mass-produced one in a fight?

It may be. It may have a stronger blade because of the quality of the steel and the folding process, or a better edge. Secondly, the balance of the weapon may be better, giving greater accuracy to the person who wields it.

I thought the seats on the plane included katana holders. I seem to remember other katanas on the plane.

That was my impression too.

As I see it, the deadly vipers hit the bride at her wedding acting on orders. I dont think any of them had any real hate for her then, except Bud and Elle. the vipers do what they’re told: Elle doesnt kill the bride in the hospital because bill tells her not to.

When she wakes up, the bride is straight for o-ren. To me, O-ren and the bride seem to be freindly enough, going by their “Silly rabbit” conversation. the bride is motivated by revenge, O-ren by self defence.

Bride vs. eh, vivica fox, well, to me Vivica was another case of self defense. They seem friendly to each other when not trying to kill the other. Vivica knows her ass is grass in a straight fight, so tries the old Bam! through the cereal box. No hard feelings.

Elle… well ok, Elle fucking hates the bride.
And bud, he’s just pissed that she broke bills heart.

And Bill, well, he’s just a heary broken man. Let those of us who havent had their hearts broken, and gone on a slaughter filled quest for revenge, throw the first stone.

As a slight hijack, did anyone expect Bill’s killing to be a bit more graphic? I thought it was very well done, but all my buddies were pissed that he didnt go out like John Hurt in Alien. Some people…

If I recall correctly, some of the civilian motorcycles also have katanas…