Kitty Goes Under the Knife in the Morning

She is still moving about. She just wandered into my room and is resting on a towel I laid on the floor. She really is the sweetest kitty in the world and she’s not mad at all, which makes watching her suffering so much worse. She’s in pain and she doesn’t know why and she seeks us out for comfort. ;(

Thanks @nearwildheaven for the kitty hugs!

Gave her some tuna and she’s eating it. Hurraaaaaaays!!! Okay, now things are back to normal. :D:D

Hooray for happier kitty indeed! It does relieve our anxiety, b/c we can’t explain what’s happened to them and they can’t tell us how they feel about it. So normalcy is a delight.
AIUI, spaying while in heat means a slightly longer recovery, pain-wise. One of the many good reasons to have them fixed as soon as they hit 2 lbs or 4 months, as the Humane Society does now.
If you’re going to let her be a neighborhood cat, please get her chipped; that way, when she’s found hurt or worse they’ll be able to call you to pick her up.

Glad things are going well.

When my cat Buffy was fixed she was all loopy and kept wandering around, crying. She wanted someone to sit with her and pet her. (While her sister Gypsy, went right up on my bed and laid down)

I would’ve thought they’d have given you pain meds, which was what happened when we got Maggie fixed.

Patches is doing much better today. Other than when I listened to my mother that I should try picking her up and ended up hurting her instead. ;( But other than that one time she’s been much more active. She really wants to be well, to return to her normal schedule. Finally got her to eat and drink water. She’s still really restless and wants a lot more attention than normal. Is much meowier than normal. Her shaved spots look awful. She’s got her belly shaved and then they shaved part of her side, too, so it looks like she was kicked in the ribs or something. It just looks really weird. I’ll be glad when it all grows back and once she’s all healed up.

I’m surprised too that they didn’t give you pain medication for the kitty. When Charley (the kitten in my avatar pic) was spayed at 4 months, the vet gave me a small number of buprenorphine syringes, just three or four, to give her at intervals after I took her home. Few things are cuter than a doped-up kitten. She curled up in her basket and slept for most of the following day, then was fine and bouncing around.

I’m also surprised they didn’t send her home w/ pain meds, that’s SOP as far as I know. If it’s not too much of a slog to get to the vet, I’d call and ask for something to give your cat for pain. It’ll make her recovery much easier if she can rest well.
No, do not pick your cat up when she just had surgery. She may not be as fragile as a human infant but she’s still a small mammal who had organs removed!
I’m not sure your mom likes cats.

Dog anecdote, not cat, but when my little pit bull Simone was spayed she completely shrugged it off and came home running around wanting to play. Here’s hoping Patches is back in top form soon!

She’s my mom’s cat, really, since I don’t have the money to afford a pet. She’s the one who stole her from her mother and brought her inside, and she pays for everything. And she wouldn’t go back to the vet for pain meds, especially since if Patches is still in pain we can’t tell. She hasn’t cried since the first day (and when I picked her up) which I will not do again!!!

And other than cuddling with me last night, which she hasn’t done since she was a kitten, she’s almost completely back to her old self. Not as frisky and hyper yet, which is good. But she’s getting around and doing all her normal things, eating and drinking normally.

Update time: Patches is all healed up and mom let her outside for the first time since she rescued her, today. Kitty is having a grand ole time. This is a much better surprise than when we took her to the vet. I had to rescue an anole from her that she had cornered on the front lanai. She’s outside now so she’s going to kill things, but if I happen to see it I can still intervene. If she were my cat she would still be inside, but she’s not, so I deal. At least for now she’s better, happy, and excited. :slight_smile:

And that’s the end of this story, I guess. Or perhaps it’s the start of a new one. The New Outside Adventures of Patches the Kitty!!!

Yay!

And, watch out, [del]a-holes[/del] anoles!