Knight's night out.

Just out of curiosity, what’s the tittle for a woman knight? Men who are knighted are called “Sir,” but what’s the prefix for a woman? I want to say “Dame,” or “Madam,” but I’m not entirely sure. And, is it possible for a knight to have his knighthood revoked, and if so, do they then receive a new tittle, like “Traitorous Fuck Steve,” or do they just go back to being called Steve? (no offense to anyone out there named Steve, it was just the first word to pop into my head).

The tittle? Beautiful, pal.

Well, Spenser seems to call his female knight “faire Britomart” most of the time, but I think this is more epithet than title. He also refers to her as “Dame” and “Warlike Maid” on occasion, but not, as far as I can recall, as “Dame Britomart.” So I’m not sure there is a proper title, but I doubt any women knights would get offended at “Dame [first name].”

Only the most loyal, brave and reverent knights receive a tittle. A few, and only a few mind you, were presented with cootchles. You had to be a real knightly bad ass to get some cootchle, though.

Traitors were usually castrated and hung. No coochles OR tittles for those bastards.

I believe the correct forms of address are:
Sir -> Dame
Lord -> Lady
I’m not sure what the difference between a Sir and a Lord is though.

From Tirant lo Blanc, a fifteenth century Spanish novel, Chapter 36: How a Knight is Expelled From His Order.

Eventually, though, it goes on to say that they either sentence him to death or life imprisonment. This book was written towards the end of the whole chivalric period, I think, so it probably wasn’t quite as cut-and-dried as the author makes it out to be, but yeah, for the brief time the guy’s still alive, they apparently call him just Jones or Miller or whatever.

:smiley:

I believe it is dame. Or lady. Damn, I forget. Look up how the Brits knight people, that should tell ya. A knight is someone that serves under a lord as an elite unit.

I believe it is dame. Or lady. Damn, I forget. Look up how the Brits knight people, that should tell ya. A knight is someone that serves under a lord as an elite unit.

A female knight is titled “Dame”. Several modern actresses have been knighted for their services to the theater, such as Dame Judi Dench. A knight’s wife is titled “Lady”. A dame’s husband gets zip as far as titles go.

Wasn’t the English author Agatha Christie knighted? I’m pretty sure that I remember a TV show on the A&E Channel calling her “Dame Agatha Christie.”