[QUOTE=don’t ask]
I saw the thread about the knitted leaf scarf and it made me realise that my mother doesn’t knit anymore. She was always a great knitter. Even an uneducated son like me could tell that her stuff was really good - very tight and perfectly even. She used to knit for her sons and then her grandkids but now nothing.
She has been really ill for many years now and everyone is kind of not into knitwear but, assuming she has no arthritic problems, I think getting her to do some “niche” stuff like that scarf could be great for her. And my Dad loves pottering around on the net so how about a few hints for me to drop to get these oldtimers going.
What sites are worth knowing about and why?
Thank you KnitDopers.
[/QUOTE]
Too many to mention! Are you trying to get her re-interested in it? If so, I would say something like “Hey, a friend of mine showed me this _____ and I love it! I don’t suppose you could do something THAT amazing, could you? REALLY???”
She may not be a pattern knitter, either, which is something to consider. Some knitters (especially older ones) have particular patterns memorized and churn out batches of hats and mittens all from the same basic recipe.
Are there grandkids? Because there are a lot of fun baby/kid items to make, knitted toys, etc. Lots of neat purses and scarves for adult women.
If it were me, I’d get her a nice package of good yarn, some needles, and a book for Christmas and see if it rekindles her interest. Or ask her to teach you! It wouldn’t hurt to learn and she may enjoy teaching. Pick up the book “Knitting with Balls” (no kidding) and bring it over. Tell her you want to learn to knit.
some sites I use for patterns and ideas:
http://www.magknits.com/warm04/patterns/
http://www.knitpicks.com/projects/projects_home.aspx
(Knitpicks has fabulous yarn, too, and free shipping over $40)
How about picking up a nice knitting magazine? There are a lot of good ones out there- Interweave Knits has lovely items. Check your local big box bookstore and see what’s what.